Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
  by Trails to Rails

I recently came into possession of a 2' X 3' plastic/fiberboard PRR Philadelphia Commuter Service map which I expect was installed on the inside of a Silverliner or MP-54, much like the SEPTA Commuter Service maps of today. The map shows all of the commuter lines and station stops but the Schuylkill Division ends at Manayunk which I'm guessing dates the map to the early 60's.

Any ideas on when these maps appeared/disappeared and when the Schuylkill Division commuter service and passenger service maps were officially cut back to Manayunk?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!
  by John Johnstone

Hello - Commuter service was cut back fom Norristown to Manayunk in August of 1960. It was later expanded to Ivy Ridge in 1979 with a new station and terminus put in place. It was later cut back to Cynwyd in 1986. Hope this helps. John
  by Trails to Rails

Thanks John!

That's kind of what I thought was the era of the map & service.

Thanks again!
  by BM6569

Looks like the right of way is fairly intact past Cynwyd. I guess the PRR's line to Norrisville became redundant over time.

Warren
  by tgolanos

BM6569 wrote:Looks like the right of way is fairly intact past Cynwyd. I guess the PRR's line to Norrisville became redundant over time.

Warren
Most of the ROW has been removed in recent years. There are 2 trails going in from Cynwyd station, connecting to the Schuylkill River trail near Shawmont.
  by mitch kennedy

Freight service from 52nd St to Schulkill Haven was operated by PC right up to C-day. Thereafter, wherever it had connections to the Rdg Main, parts stayed in service to serve local customers. Phoenixville comes to mind, but other stretches stayed around for a while as well.
  by tgolanos

I posted this in the SEPTA forums, but I'll ask here, too. If anyone has a copy of a PPR schedule showing service to Manayuk and Ivy Ridge, I'd like to see what service was like. Would it be possible to scan it?
  by mitch kennedy

Here you go-its full size, scanned in the original pale green.It's technically not PRR, but is Penn Central, from 1971-doubt it changed much since the PRR's demise...
  by tgolanos

Very interesting. I just took a look at the current Cynwyd schedule to compare. The quickest I saw on the PC schedule is 10 minutes between Penn Center and Cynwyd, and 16 to Manayunk. Today it's almost 20 minutes to Cynwyd. How the times have chages. Thanks for the schedule.
  by timz

The 4/60 timetable shows nine weekday trains to Manayunk, three of which continued to Norristown. On Saturday two trains to Norristown, on Sunday nothing. In 10/60 PSIC has apparently started-- the timetable says "Operation Manayunk"-- with 14 weekday trains to Manayunk, eight Saturday and none Sunday.