• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by Donko142

PROJECT 5485
Passenger Car Fundraiser
&
Refurbishment 2010

Adirondack Railway Preservation Society, Inc.
A 501C3 Not for Profit

The Adirondack Railway Preservation Society operates the Adirondack Scenic Railroad, a 118 mile picturesque corridor through the Adirondack State Park and Forest Preserve. Train rides originate in Utica at the Historic Union Station, Thendara (Old Forge) and Lake Placid site of the 1932 and 1980 Olympics. The line had been abandoned for many years when resurrected by volunteers in 1992 with a four mile train ride. Now we are soon expecting our one millionth passenger and have resurrected almost half of the abandoned trackage allowing many of all ages and the handicapped to experience Adirondack beauty and history in a way that compares to no other, via rail on the Historic Golden Chariot Route.

The Adirondack Scenic Railroad is operated by 90% volunteers and runs educational and picturesque train rides on a regular basis 8 months out of the year both on trackage out of Utica through Holland Patent and Remsen on rails laid before the Civil War and on the 118 mile State of New York owned Remsen-Lake Placid Travel Corridor with a colorful rail history that dates back to 1892 through some of the most spectacular unspoiled scenery in the Northeast.

The Project
As we strive to provide a comfortable ride that takes into consideration the needs and expectations of the modern day adventurer and needs of handicapped and disabled it becomes difficult with the vintage cars we operate from the grand old days of rail travel’s halcyon years. ARPS has selected coach car 5485, a 50 year old plus veteran of many miles that has hauled many happy passengers coming and going on their journeys of life through scenic Adirondack vistas and into quaint hamlets and station stops we serve. Car 5485 and ARPS could use your help! The plan is to perform interior refurbishments to make it attractive once again and as practical, serve handicapped needs. Windows will be replaced for optimum viewing and safety standards, and as a final touch it will receive a new paint job, but not just any paint job. This car will wear the historic New York Central Railroad 20th Century Limited Scheme and lettering reminiscent of the 1940’s & ‘50’s era of passenger travel and befitting of operating out of Historic Utica Union Station and over the former New York Central Route to Lake Placid with pride.

Our Fund Raising Goal is $50,000 and YOU can help us achieve that by sending a tax deductible donation in the amount of your choosing. In return, those donating $250 will have the option of scheduling a locomotive cab ride on our 20 mile round trip between Thendara and Otter Lake. Donors making a donation of $500 or more will have the option of scheduling a locomotive cab ride from Utica to Thendara and return, a 104 mile round trip. See below for other levels of donation and our special “Name the Car” Contest!

100% of your donation to Car 5485 will go directly to the fund. It is our goal that with your help we will be able to completely refurbish passenger car 5485 for the fall 2010 train rides. This passenger car will mark a new era on the Adirondack Scenic; it will be the first car in our current fleet to get the 20th Century Limited inspired paint job and New York Central lettering.

For donors who are nice enough to donate to this great cause and want to be updated and educated on the process as it progresses you can check it out on http://www.railroad.net or http://www.adirondackrr.com

Please mail checks payable to: Adirondack Railway Preservation Society, Inc. (ARPS) and in your memo line make sure to write: Car 5485 Project
Mail to: Adirondack Scenic Railroad, Project 5485, PO Box 84, Thendara, NY 13472
For credit card donations: **Reference Project 5485
call Linda Ellison at 315-369-6290 9 am – 4 pm Mon-Fri

Levels of Donation
$1000 or more – Senior Road Foreman Level – Charter the refurbished 5485 for your group of up to 50 people on a Utica-Thendara Round Trip Train (some schedule restrictions will apply)
$500 – Railroad Baron Level - Receive a cab ride opportunity from Utica to Thendara and return*
$250 – Casey Jones Level - Receive a cab ride opportunity on the Otter Lake Local*
$100 – Conductor Level - Have a plaque with your name as a seat sponsor in the car or in memory of a relative or friend
$50 - One complimentary round trip fare on the Otter Lake Local
$25 and under - ARPS bumper sticker or window sticker

Name Car 5485 Contest
Eligible donors can enter the Name the Car Contest. In the spirit of the refurbishment of this car to the grandeur of an earlier era we invite you to submit an entry to name the car. Names may be of geographic places in the Adirondacks or rail route served by ARPS or related to local history, geology, flora, fauna or other type themes.

NAME CAR 5485:
Your idea is:___________________________________

Amount of Your Tax Deductible Donation: $ _______

Additional Donation to General Fund: $ _________

Make me an ARPS MEMBER: $25 Annual Fee ________
Name:______________________ phone:________________

For Additional Information call ARPS at (315) 369-6290
Or Don Chaudruc, Fundraising Coordinator at [email protected]

Please see special restrictions, all cab rides must be scheduled*

ARPS is a 501C3 corporation chartered for the preservation and operation, as feasible, of educational and scenic rail rides over the Remsen-Lake Placid Travel Corridor owned by the State of New York

In my own words I would appreciate the support of everyone that reads these forums. I am aware that this car is not an original New York Central car, but I cannot help but think how totally awesome any coach would look traveling up this railroad proudly displaying the New York Central's 20th Century limited paint job and lettering. With your help I hope 5485 will be doing just that this fall. I must add one other note. I ask everyone who may be interested in this project to research with their friends, families, aquaintences and so on. Please, in addition to supporting it yourself - look into corporate sponsorship. So many of our employers have a gift matching program when it comes to 501c3 corporations. In otherwords, not only is this donation 100% TAX DEDUCTIBLE, but in many situations if you and your co-workers are able to raise a certain amount of money, your company will match that money doubling the total contribution. Thank you from all of us at the Adirondack Scenic and ARPS for any support you can give in regards to this first of it's kind fundraiser.

PS. My opinion for the name that car contest will be to name the car "The Spirit of 92".
  by Donko142

If interested follow this project on the New York State Railfan thread

under

"" Adirondack Scenic Project 5485 ""

Thanks