• Programming Walthers Proto Engines

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by viken

I've searched here and on the net, without success, looking for a solution to the following dilemma:

I recently purchased a Walthers F7 A/B set (for the Great Northern name train - with tsunami sound) and would like to program the locomotives' addresses using my Lenz LVZ100/LH100 system (v. 3.6).

While changing addresses is not a task I often do, I've managed to accomplish it several times (on the programming track) over the years but ran into a brick wall on these engines. On the programming track, as soon as I get to the part where you enter the new (extended, 4 digit) address, I get the error code "err 01." Yes, I know that indicates a short and I see on the net that the suggested solutions are to add a 10 ohm resistor (I've had one since buying the Lenz system years ago) or to use PoM. Well, that doesn't seem to work for me either. Briefly, my approach with PoM is to have the track clear of all other decoder equipped engines/rolling stock, then change CV17 to my calculated value, then change CV18 to the next calculated value. Supposedly those two actions should automatically change CV29's bit 5 value from 0 to 1.

Nothing. Next I tried the same procedure but also changed CV29's bit 5 value from 0 to 1. Same result, nothing. Apparently it's impossible to find phone support from Lenz and the Soundtraxx folks were accessible but unfamiliar with both Lenz and my specific problem.

Yes, I have sound and all the function keys seem to work as they should. I can't be the only person in the world having this problem (although I might be the only one who hasn't found or figured out a solution) so can anyone give me a step-by-step guide? Thanks in advance!
  by cnj1524

Can you program on the main??Can you do a readback of decoder?? Did you try reset back to 03 then to 4 digit??
I know it becomes aggravating,You can also try tony's train exchange on the net but if you do then buy something
from them as they will help,and what does walthers say,they have to have some kind of support,but tonys has
walked me through some stressful moments
  by viken

cnj1524 wrote:Can you program on the main??Can you do a readback of decoder?? Did you try reset back to 03 then to 4 digit??
I know it becomes aggravating,You can also try tony's train exchange on the net but if you do then buy something
from them as they will help,and what does walthers say,they have to have some kind of support,but tonys has
walked me through some stressful moments
Yes, I can program on the main. I'm not sure how to do a readback while PoM so, no, I haven't tried it.

The address never changed from 03 and CV29 bit 5 says 0 so I assume the factory default of 03 is a "short" address -- which supposedly means I should be able to program an extended address.

Yes, I've done a lot of business with Tony's in the past but nothing recent. Yes, they've always been helpful and I did try calling them yesterday but no one was available. I did send them an email inquiry. (As an aside, it looks like Tony's is no longer the official USA rep for Lenz. ???)

I tried calling Walthers, got referred to http://www.walthers.com/tsunami" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, and found that to be nothing but a series of links to info already listed on the Soundtraxx site. Based on past experience, I doubt Walthers has any TS people at all but I am going to try again to get some phone support.
  by viken

Taken from a combination of advice/suggestions from individuals, a local hobby shop owner, and Soundtraxx and Walthers tech support, here is the solution that worked for me:

First of all, program "on the main;" the programming track won't work.

Take everything with a decoder, except the "target engine," off the track.

If you know the locomotive's address, use it; if not, use 0000.

Program CV17 first - use the calculated number (many CV calculators are available online, e.g. check Digitrax's website @ http://www.digitrax.com/support/cv/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Next, program CV18 with the calculated number.

Finally, program CV29. There are at least a couple of different ways to do that but, again, I found the Digitrax calculator to be simple to use and - it works! Specifically, I programmed CV29 to 54 although 38 should also work.

Address changing problem solved.
  by Backshophoss

There are Programming track boosters out there,Soundtraxx offers the PTB-100 at $59.95,
and DCC Specialties PPX programming track booster at $59.95.
You didn't state which DCC system you're using,a Digitrax DB-150 in programming mode seems to handle
sound decoder programming to a point,unless you use JMRI's Decoder pro 3 to program.

Each of the major decoder manufacturers has a downloadable programming manual,
just root around the decoder's website to find it.
  by viken

Backshophoss wrote:There are Programming track boosters out there,Soundtraxx offers the PTB-100 at $59.95,
You didn't state which DCC system you're using,a Digitrax DB-150 in programming mode seems to handle
sound decoder programming to a point,unless you use JMRI's Decoder pro 3 to program.

Actually, I did indicate my DCC system as being a Lenz.

As for using a track booster, several manuals indicate they are not to be used with a Lenz system. Along those lines however, when Broadway Limited Imports releases its Address Changer, that might be a good choice as it's independent of your DCC system.

As I mentioned, I can't be the only one having this issue so hopefully you and others who contribute information will help someone else solve their similar problem. Thanks.
  by ApproachMedium

Backshophoss wrote:There are Programming track boosters out there,Soundtraxx offers the PTB-100 at $59.95,

Most likely this is the solution. The exclusive programming track of the Lenz probably does not have enough power to amp up the capacitors in the sound engines. The LVZ100 is an older machine and was made when sound was still very rare.