• Postcard of BUF-Where is this?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by erie2937

NYC yards at old Exchange Street passenger station - before Central Terminal built.
  by ExCon90

On that subject, how were trains destined to Cleveland handled prior to Central Terminal, since the divergence was east of Exchange St.? Did they make a station stop at Exchange St. and then back out, or what? I've never found anyone who had a definitive answer.
  by Railroaded

Trains to Exchange St. backed in or out depending on what way they were coming/going. Very time consuming & dangerous. I've read that this was one reason to build Central Terminal in the first place from the railroad's perspective, and another was reason was the city's interest in eliminating grade crossing accidents while backing through the city.
  by sd80mac

erie2937 wrote:NYC yards at old Exchange Street passenger station - before Central Terminal built.

What road or RR is the bridge in background?
  by Railroaded

That's a street.
  by sd80mac

Railroaded wrote:That's a street.

Thanks - i take that u dont know or are not sure of street name, right?
  by erie2937

I think the bridge in the background is Louisiana Street but I stand ready to be corrected. HTG
  by ExCon90

Railroaded wrote:Trains to Exchange St. backed in or out depending on what way they were coming/going. Very time consuming & dangerous. I've read that this was one reason to build Central Terminal in the first place from the railroad's perspective, and another was reason was the city's interest in eliminating grade crossing accidents while backing through the city.
Thanks for the reply. I don't know how many people I've asked about that who didn't know.
  by Railroaded

Negative. The camera man is standing on Chicago St. looking West at Michigan St. You're looking at the East end of the NYC&HR's coach yard. The orignal photo shows more background detail. The Erie's passenger station & freight house is on the right side & the spire for the NYC Exchange St. station is just over the bridge in the background. In the photo posted online, this detail is obscured. This photo was taken in the year 1910.