• Southern Tier - West of Binghamton

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by K4Pacific

Yep Geo train to do the new fresh work testing. Resurfacing more this morning too. Scheds all screwed up for a Tuesday.
  by K4Pacific

Nice daytime 206 today. By Elmira at 1000.
  by wurlitzer153

K4Pacific wrote:Nice daytime 206 today. By Elmira at 1000.
That's probably the late one that came through Mentor, OH around 8:30 last night.
  by Mike Stellpflug

Good color up around Portageville now.
Yesterdays (9/29/2011) 38T:

Mike
  by waldwickrailfan

Mike Stellpflug wrote:Good color up around Portageville now.
Yesterdays (9/29/2011) 38T:

Mike
nice shot, if only i can get out of NJ and go upstate to see this in person.

and was this a CP(most likly) or NS train.
  by Matt Langworthy

waldwickrailfan wrote:and was this a CP(most likly) or NS train.
38T is the eastbound CP-powered transfer freight between Buffalo and Schenectady.
  by ssw9662

NS crew, CP train. It's actually CP 254 which in Toronto-Binghamton.
  by Matt Langworthy

ssw9662 wrote:NS crew, CP train. It's actually CP 254 which in Toronto-Binghamton.
Thank you for the clarification.
  by sd80mac

THIS WEEKEND!

I will be at letchworth state park in one of the day over this weekend, more likely Saturday.

Can anyone tell me the TYPICAL schedule of trains going through park and over the bridge? I know that someone had posted the times/schedule before but I'm sure that has been changed since then.

If anyone of you are out at trackside or living near track and willing to send me head-ups, please PM me off list.

thanks
  by K4Pacific

It's sort of all goofed up on scheds. Can anyone else tell me why 206 keep outlawing in Elmira? This is becoming common place right now. Kind of reminds me of '88-'89 Guilford dying at Elmira with that autorack train and those sexy SD26s. LOL. Seriously, there must be service issues going on.
  by nysw136

I noticed that 22K came into Binghamton in the normal time frame Tuesday morning, with no autoracks but a larger than normal Intermodal train (147 platforms). 13T didn't come east into Binghamton until after 6am. Saw 22K with little or no autoracks two days in a row last week as well.
  by railbird steve

a westbound empty coal train parked on the siding east of cp cass this morn 7:30 am still sittin here at 6:30pm I ve been noticing at least 4 trains daily bettewen 4-6 am thru hornell . Ihavent heard the wypa train in a month used to come tues thurs bout noonish thru hornell.
  by alsorailfan

Finally got around to uploading my pictures from this past Monday. (to Mike S., Great shot of CP crossing the bridge!) Stopping to take these pictures were not part of the plan of the day but now I'm glad we fought the mass humanity at the park...
Question: What are those PVC posts at the end of the bridges? (Included a couple shots from last January to show it better)
Had captioned one picture as future new CWR to be installed but that is an ASSUMPTION on my part, pictures will show why.
Enjoy!

https://picasaweb.google.com/1123575824 ... BridgeArea

Chris
  by s4ny

Chris...great pictures, thanks. The bridge construction is similar to the former PS&N bridge over Stony Brook Glen, about 20 miles away in Dansville.

I wonder if the existing bridge could be reinforced.

I don't think this line is really critical to Norfolk Southern's future, but they would like to have it. They are thinking, probably correctly, that NY will come across with some money for the project.
  by railbird steve

Just watched I-3k(?) go west thru hornell n.y. 5:58 pm. s.t. disp is sticking him in the siding at swains 12t is ahead on the main -it looks like bison yards full buff is trying to make up a 310 to clear the yard(bison) to get 12t and I-3k in but it looks like I3k gonna die befoe buff. disp has been parking trains for the last week or so and probally getting frustrated how hard would it be to add more sidings or double tracks back from elmira to buff?