• NS Police, Snowmobile Wrecks and Van Trains in Darien, NY

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by clearblock

SimTrains wrote:
What did they mean by "inside the gage"? Between the rails maybe?
The "inside the gage" was my interpretation to railroad terminology of the report that I believe said he was riding "inside the tracks". That led me to understand that he was riding in between the rails.

I think that the wording of the NY Penal Code "Reckless endangerment of property" certainly applies to most vehicle/ATV/snowmobile RR ROW trespassing incidents:

"recklessly engages in conduct which creates a substantial risk of damage to the property of another.." (the railroad).

by thannon

Although shortly to be a moot point- DH 166/167 can appearance-approach TOFC only with the right mix of mostly intermodal/auotoracks. With CP's agreement to end trackage rights- of course this will become academic.

Further your point- while the 205/206 have approached monster status; just what will NS do with the intermodal CP has now. Will it still move Buffalo-Bingo, or get repacked on the Harry'sburg route, or did CP timeout on whatever contracts it might have left for it anyway? While not huge, I doubt these blocks will fit on the 206/205 as is. Given the larger size already, (and recent hires in Corning and Bingo) I'll take the plunge and guess a second section or a new intermodal run with the ex-DH traffic.

No bets though...

Tom H>

Farmer Joe wrote:206 is an eastbound van train, it and westbound 205 are the only dedicated van trains on the west side of the Southern Tier line. In my opinion, these are the trains to watch as to the future of the 'tier. If NS moves them off or changes them in any way, that to me would signal changes to the 'tier as talked about in other posts on this forum. Again, just my opinion.

Back to the accident, it actually happened around 8:00 in the evening, by the time the emergency crews were called it was 8:15-8:30-ish. So, if it was an eastbound van train you saw earlier, it was the 206.

Joe at MP397 on the 'tier
  by Farmer Joe

I have seen some intermodal cars in the D&H trains 166/167. I never saw alot of them, but I don't often catch the 166 or the 167 either. It sure would be nice to get a couple more "van trains" on the 'tier. Tom, I hope what you say happens, but yeah its only railfan speculation. NS will do what it wants.

The snowmobile collision made the front page of the Batavia paper today. Boy if this guy only knew what the red signal meant at MP397.

I also tried to change the title of this post, I don't know if it'll take. I just retyped what I wanted to change it to in the subject line of this post. If it doesn't, can anyone tell me how to change the title on posts?

Joe at MP397 on the 'tier

by Farmer Joe

Never mind on the post title change, I just went back and edited my original post. Learn somethin' new every day!

Joe