• NS Police, Snowmobile Wrecks and Van Trains in Darien, NY

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Farmer Joe

Was picking up my take out fish fry at the Parker House in Darien when an NS Police SUV came flying thru the parking lot. Never expected to see that in these parts. The Parker House is along the 'tier on Rt 77 and its parking lot backs up to the tracks. Only thing I can think of for his appearance is that he was looking for snowmobiles along the tracks. The Parker House is a stop on the trail system, but no one has been riding the right of way as of yet. I also thought maybe there was a special movement coming as the MP397 signal was lit for approach going west. The fish would have gotten cold if I waited to find out.

Anyways, now that I've seen the police around these parts, I'm going to have to watch when I sit on Erie Rd by the 397 signal. "honest officer, I was just watching the deer on the other side of the tracks, they ran after you stopped to talk to me!"

Stay warm its -14 out there!
Joe
Last edited by Farmer Joe on Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by O-6-O

so I guess you tell the DEC cops you were lookin at the RR signals. hehe.

STEAM ON
/--OOO-;-oo--oo-

by SST

You tell the DEC that you are watching out for the deer to ensure their safety so they don't get harmed by a train.

by Railroaded

Hmph. I have also seen them at the Buffalo SK Yard now that they have moved back in. It was a white crown vic with squarish looking bubble lights and a licenceplate with the letters "NS" and then some numbers.

-B in B

by Farmer Joe

It was an Explorer that I saw out here. White w/blue "POLICE" on the sides. Thought for a minute it was a Buffalo Police K-9 vehicle, then I spotted the NS logo on the front fender. I think "Norfolk Southern" was on the tailgate too. Moving too fast for the eyes to focus.

I know they've followed a train out of Buffalo sometime last week because of military equipment in the consist according to the guys on the nstier yahoo list. I think it just was a snowmobile check, though. Last year a sled was hit a couple miles west of Darien. Like I said, no one has been on the ROW out here as of yet.

Joe MP 397 on the 'tier

by Farmer Joe

Well, It sounds like NS train 206 may have hit a snowmobile around 8:30 tonight in Darien. The operator was clear of the vehicle before it was struck according to the fire dispatch. As 206 was backing west of Rt77, the dragging detector at MP398 was chattering up a storm. Conductor reported that the dragger seemed OK. Fire rescue can't find the snowmobile operator. This happened within a mile of where I saw the NS police the other night. So that explains why they may have been cruising thru. I'll keep you all posted if more of this unfolds. The scanner is clogged with both fire and rail chatter. Trying to piece all the stuff together is a bit difficult. I don't have 800 mhz on my scanner so fire dispatch is a one sided conversation.

Joe at MP397 onthe 'tier

by Farmer Joe

206 on the move east at 9:18 PM. No damage to the track, dragging detector or the unit. No injuries. NS police are conversing with the local police. Sounds like everything is OK except for one totaled snowmobile.

Joe at MP397 on the 'tier

by SimTrains

Which way was 206 headed? Earlier this evening I caught a freight heading east, crossing Penora St. in Depew. Wonder if it was the same one.

by Farmer Joe

206 is an eastbound van train, it and westbound 205 are the only dedicated van trains on the west side of the Southern Tier line. In my opinion, these are the trains to watch as to the future of the 'tier. If NS moves them off or changes them in any way, that to me would signal changes to the 'tier as talked about in other posts on this forum. Again, just my opinion.

Back to the accident, it actually happened around 8:00 in the evening, by the time the emergency crews were called it was 8:15-8:30-ish. So, if it was an eastbound van train you saw earlier, it was the 206.

Joe at MP397 on the 'tier

by bwparker1

What is a "Van" train?

Brooks

by Farmer Joe

bwparker1 wrote:What is a "Van" train?

Brooks
Trailer on flatcar. (TOFC) Conrail Trailvan etc. Maybe an old term for it, but I like it. :-D

by bwparker1

I know TOFC, but thanks for the info on Van

I like it too.

BWP

by sd80mac

Brooks[/quote]

Trailer on flatcar. (TOFC) Conrail Trailvan etc. Maybe an old term for it, but I like it. :-D[/quote]

I prefer Conrail's term - TV!!! :P
ken

by clearblock

I heard a news story on WCJW today about the accident near the RT 77 crossing in Darien.

The snowmobile was westbound inside the gage and the operator jumped before impact and was not injured. The operator was reportedly arrested for operating while intoxicated, possession of marijuana, unregistered snowmobile, trespassing and reckless endangerment of property.

It is good to see the police use the "reckless endangerment of property"(145.25) as well as trespassing charge against this guy.

by SimTrains

The operator was reportedly arrested for operating while intoxicated, possession of marijuana, unregistered snowmobile, trespassing and reckless endangerment of property.
WOW, quite a package they got him on, hope he gets put away for a long time!! He is extremely lucky to have not been killed. What did they mean by "inside the gage"? Between the rails maybe?