Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by kitn1mcc

http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/news/new_haven_ ... ower-lines
Man rescued from electrical wires

Updated: Thursday, 17 Mar 2011, 7:06 PM EDT
Published : Thursday, 17 Mar 2011, 2:31 PM EDT

West Haven, Conn. (WTNH) - Emergency personnel had to rescue a man who was trapped in train power lines after he climbed a catenary pole in West Haven, fell and became trapped. It happened near the train tracks on Mix Avenue. Pictures from the scene show the man dangling by one leg from the pole. Firefighters used one of their tower trucks to get to the man to free him. The victim has not been identified, but we're told he was transported to Yale-New Haven Hospital for treatment.
  by DutchRailnut

copper thief he got what he deserved, cooked on inside.
  by Eliphaz

criminal, insane, or just drunk, its a terrible way to go.
  by 161pw165

Idiot. Moron. Sorry - no sympathy for stupidity.....................
  by Clean Cab

Shocking!!!
  by HBLR

Wow, i heard about this at work, i wasn't sure if it actually happened or not! He wasn't fried as far as they said in the article. I can't imagine anyone wanting to climb a high voltage line support tower, so i'm wagering he was drunk.
  by mgbcab

Very lucky to be alive
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by theozno

I heard that 3 trains got held up. one of them being 56 which made me late on 55. What were the other 2?
  by HBLR

How the hell........ Dude is lucky to be alive.
  by railaw

I didn't know that death, or near-death is the "deserved" result of theft, assuming that's what was going on. The lack of compassion routinely displayed on this board for those injured or killed in rail-related events (caused by their own actions or otherwise) staggers me.
  by diffusedmind

railaw wrote:The lack of compassion routinely displayed on this board for those injured or killed in rail-related events (caused by their own actions or otherwise) staggers me.
These people don't need compassion, they need two IQ points to rub together.
  by Trainer

railaw wrote:The lack of compassion routinely displayed on this board for those injured or killed in rail-related events (caused by their own actions or otherwise) staggers me.
I don't recall any situations where people in this forum were heartless towards true accident victims - quite the opposite. However, when those actions are deliberate and endanger the lives of others, passengers and workers alike, then it is difficult to feel much compassion about those who commit them. Good work to the Metro police who rescued this guy, and thanks that they did not get hurt doing so.
  by Travelsonic

Trainer wrote:
I don't recall any situations where people in this forum were heartless towards true accident victims..
Whether they are or aren't heartless in those cases is irrelevant, for somebody to say anybody "get what they deserve" by being nearly killed for a nonviolent but dangerous [to the well being of the person involved], and outright stupid criminal act, in my opinion, is rather uncalled for. People deserve to be punished for trying to steal wire, if they are killed it is unfortunate though not unexpected given the dangerous nature of trying such an act, but to "deserve it" in a similar vain to a rightfully convicted murderer deserving death, well, it seems disproportionate a reaction.
  by DutchRailnut

railaw wrote:I didn't know that death, or near-death is the "deserved" result of theft, assuming that's what was going on. The lack of compassion routinely displayed on this board for those injured or killed in rail-related events (caused by their own actions or otherwise) staggers me.
wise words for a law shark, still F**k the thief...
  by joseph

i got hit with the 11,000 volts at PIKE interlocking many years ago as a signal maintainer while doing my job. it is not a pleasurable experience.he will think long and hard about being near electricity again. he and his lawyer will probably sue the railroad for using high voltage for operations and making such easy access for stealing. he needs to be accountable for his unwise actions, the railroad should sue him for the unnecessary disruption and use of emergency personnel for something that had no place to happen.