Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Railroader

"Top" Station goes into service tonight at midnight. Located at MP 15 on the Danbury.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by DutchRailnut

Sh*t we only asked for such a block station in middle of hill block for last 30 years.
Now a year and half before signalling someone finaly gets of the pot and finishes it ??
  by Railroader

Well it will not be lasting long, once the track repairs are made in Bethel "Top" will be removed. But like alot of other things around it could be temperately permanent. They separated the blocks to make the turning of trains at Branchville more feasible.
  by DutchRailnut

hope they put up ABL boards as required by CFR.
It should have been a a few miles further and called BL "swamp"
  by HBLR

DutchRailnut wrote:hope they put up ABL boards as required by CFR.
It should have been a a few miles further and called BL "swamp"
At least they aren't going the BP route, top hat, junk shot etc.
  by MNR's #1 Conductor

DutchRailnut wrote:Sh*t we only asked for such a block station in middle of hill block for last 30 years.
Now a year and half before signalling someone finaly gets of the pot and finishes it ??
Why bother???? Especially considering they are replacing MBS (Manual Block System) with CTC/CSS soon enough. I don't really see the need.
  by Clean Cab

A real quailty "TOP" sign!!! Is that a black magic marker they used? I'm lead to believe this block station is only temporary. Why couldn't they have put it just north of Redding? That way West Redding station could be served.
  by TCurtin

That's interesting. What's the operational reason for another block station --- and it's only about (I'm guessing) two miles --- max --- north of "Hill?"
  by TCurtin

Guys, disregard my question in the post above --- I see the answer is in the thread.

BTW, a historical item: there once was a station called "Topstone" located (logically enough!) at
Topstone Road (west side of the track and south side of the crossing to be exact). It was discontinued in 1931. My dad remembered trains stopping there when he rode the line as a kid in the 1920s. I have a photo of it.

Tom
  by Clean Cab

TOP is gone. It was no longer needed and it has been removed.
  by DutchRailnut

Needed???? If they only listened to the RTC's and those that operate other than desk drawers !!!
  by Clean Cab

DutchRailnut wrote:Needed???? If they only listened to the RTC's and those that operate other than desk drawers !!!

I couldn't agree with you more. The RTC's and crews who operate the Danbury trains all know that another block station is needed, but the people who make the rules don't agree.
  by DutchRailnut

2012 and yes off topic