• Southern Tier - East of Binghamton

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by dano23

Guess I missed something somewhere, but most of this traffic mentioned already moves on existing trains.
  by SecaucusJunction

Looks like NS is hiring again out of Croxton... Not sure of how many.
  by blockline4180

SecaucusJunction wrote:Looks like NS is hiring again out of Croxton... Not sure of how many.

No more specifics SJ?? Come on man!!
  by SecaucusJunction

dano23 wrote:Guess I missed something somewhere, but most of this traffic mentioned already moves on existing trains.

I think I'm the one missing something if that is true. NS has no stack trains on the Tier to Buffalo/Chicago currently. Yes, you could say that that traffic is routed on the Lehigh, but there's definitely no autoracks on the Tier to Ridgefield Heights... as far as I know, NS doesn't even serve Ridgefield Heights. Other thoughts show no Elkhart to Oak Island general merchandise trains (Conrail ran 2 sets of Oak Island-Pittsburgh trains, NS only has 1, albeit with extra sections on many days). No NJ to Atlanta roadrailers on the NEC (or anywhere in NJ) and little North/South intermodal traffic.

Like I said though, and K4 had referenced... a lot of these plans look to be currently in the works now and hopefully will eventually come to fruition, 10-15 years after the takeover. NS seemed to dream a lot bigger than they actually worked back then, but maybe our "Railroader of the Year" friend has changed the atmosphere around there, with the help of some much needed improvements and provoking from Port Authority.

From what I hear, railroading in the Northeast should look vastly different in 3-5 years than it does now...
  by nysw3636

SecaucusJunction wrote:Looks like NS is hiring again out of Croxton... Not sure of how many.
NS hired 1900 last year and forecasting at least 1500 new hires in 2011. Is it me or does it seem that all recent news involves "West/South/North of Binghamton" updates??
  by K4Pacific

The Union in Binghamton is having a meeting Wednesday. I will have an announcement soon after that. Now if you look at page 6 of Trains, you'll find that a small percentage increase in trailer and container traffic of only 2% will dramatically change the landscape. A shortage of drivers and the accelerating economy.
  by century430

Is this a specially called meeting or is it a regular meeting for the union?

Jim Rowland
  by century430

I'd hate to hear the meeting is saying that NS is taking over the D&H from Harrisburg to Albany!!
  by K4Pacific

This will be the regularly scheduled meeting, however, Mechanicville and ST Line are on the agenda with a special guest. From union rep. "We finally got a meeting the the big wheels and hope to get answers or at least something resembling an answer." So just hang tight, once there is attribution, I can let the train roll.
  by century430

This proccedure sounds similar to what they did right before NS starting runnig coal trains over the WNYP.

JR
  by blockline4180

K4Pacific wrote:This will be the regularly scheduled meeting, however, Mechanicville and ST Line are on the agenda with a special guest. From union rep. "We finally got a meeting the the big wheels and hope to get answers or at least something resembling an answer." So just hang tight, once there is attribution, I can let the train roll.

I'm hanging by the skin of my teeth!! Trust me, I'm ready to do back flips and cartwheels after I hear the great news you can share!!!!
  by SecaucusJunction

century430 wrote:I'd hate to hear the meeting is saying that NS is taking over the D&H from Harrisburg to Albany!!

That might not be far off from what might happen in the future... nor would that probably be a bad thing for the Tier. It would only help to improve the connection between the Middle Division/Harrisburg and the Northern Route.
  by Matt Langworthy

SecaucusJunction wrote:
century430 wrote:I'd hate to hear the meeting is saying that NS is taking over the D&H from Harrisburg to Albany!!

That might not be far off from what might happen in the future... nor would that probably be a bad thing for the Tier. It would only help to improve the connection between the Middle Division/Harrisburg and the Northern Route.
I checked the STB website as recently as yesterday. To date, there are no STB filings from NS to acquire the Sunbury to Albany route from CP. Maybe NS will increase the number of trains it runs on that corridor but a change in ownership seems unlikely.
  by SecaucusJunction

I never said it was happening, but that it might be a possibility in the future.