• Amtrak expanding Wi-Fi

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by HBLR

I don't know about the rest of you, but I prefer the sound of HVAC and rails to a diesel engine changing rpm's. Throw in wifi and it becomes more a choice of which train do i catch vs train or bus.
  by goodnightjohnwayne

R36 Combine Coach wrote:The buses may have wi-fi, but there's one thing you can't get on a bus: cafe service.
Ummm.....is that such a strong selling point?
  by goodnightjohnwayne

HBLR wrote:I don't know about the rest of you, but I prefer the sound of HVAC and rails to a diesel engine changing rpm's. Throw in wifi and it becomes more a choice of which train do i catch vs train or bus.
I think that the fare issue is a determining factor. In other words, Amtrak isn't competing on price on the Corridor. Not that it matters. Trains seem to be running full despite the fares, not because of them.

Personally, I think that free WiFi is a good selling point for the bus lines and it's simply embarrassing that Amtrak didn't institute such a service 6 or 7 years ago. Not doubt, it was a lack of funding that precluded the adoption of WiFi, although with the funding bonanza of the last couple of years......
  by Suburban Station

HBLR wrote:I don't know about the rest of you, but I prefer the sound of HVAC and rails to a diesel engine changing rpm's. Throw in wifi and it becomes more a choice of which train do i catch vs train or bus.
most people agree I think, but do they want to pay an extra $100 RT? maybe not. internet service should be a given based on how much they are charging. and I don't buy the "amtrak is only limited by rolling stock." there were dozens of cars sitting in bear while they charged outrageous fares.
  by Gilbert B Norman

While unrelated to passenger rail, this material appearing in Today's New York Times certainly suggests about the implied "right" of equal access to the internet. I hope the moderators will allow such to stand, as it appears that those residing in rural areas, in addition to those riding Amtrak trains, do not have the same access as do those residing in urban areas:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/18/us/18broadband.html

Brief passage:

• The county administrator cannot get broadband at her house. Neither can the sportswriter at The Thomasville Times.

Here in Coffeeville, the only computer many students ever touch is at the high school.

“I’m missing a whole lot,” said Justin Bell, 17. “I know that.”

As the world embraces its digital age — two billion people now use the Internet regularly — the line delineating two Americas has become more broadly drawn. There are those who have reliable, fast access to the Internet, and those, like about half of the 27,867 people here in Clarke County, who do not.

In rural America, only 60 percent of households use broadband Internet service, according to a report released Thursday by the Department of Commerce. That is 10 percent less than urban households. Over all, 28 percent of Americans do not use the Internet at all.
Even if personally could care less (I get quite enough "surfing" up here in my home office from this Dell desktop system and for the 23 days I'm away from home per year, I can simply "make do') if Amtrak seats do or do not have power outlets (guess I need one in my Sleeping Car room for my razor and, if I think of it to give my phone a "quickie"), others do and I'm starting to get that message.

It seemed as if last night returning home from the Symphony on the BNSF, I was the only person reading print media in my half of the car, anyone else who was doing something appeared hunched over their electronic playthings and with ear pieces that could impair their capacity to hear stations being called.
  by Murjax

afiggatt wrote:
Murjax wrote:Weren't they originally planning to have it on the Northeast Regionals back in October?
No, Amtrak put out a press release last year (summer IIRC) that they were planning to add WiFi to all trains in the future, with the NE Regionals and California trains to be added, but did not give any dates. With the selection of a equipment provider, now the Amfleet Is will start getting equipped. Unfortunate that it has taken Amtrak this long to add WiFi to the Regionals because lack of WiFi appears to be hurting ridership on the Regionals.
I disagree that the lack of WiFi is really hurting ridership. Not everyone brings their laptops with them. In fact more people are probably on their phones if anything. That said though, WiFi probably helps increase ridership when it's available. Everyone loves free internet, even if they are already do have data plans on their phones. My bigger question is how did the Downeaster manage to get it before the NE Regionals? State money?
  by jamesinclair

Murjax wrote: I disagree that the lack of WiFi is really hurting ridership. Not everyone brings their laptops with them. In fact more people are probably on their phones if anything. That said though, WiFi probably helps increase ridership when it's available. Everyone loves free internet, even if they are already do have data plans on their phones. My bigger question is how did the Downeaster manage to get it before the NE Regionals? State money?
It's not just laptops, EVERYTHING has wifi these days, from Kindle book readers to Nintendo DS game systems to apple ipods. The majority of people actually dont have data plans on their phones, so wifi is also useful there.

Personally, I like to read a real newspaper on the train, but its easy to see that everyone around me wants to be looking at a screen....except maybe the retired couple who have a 5 day leisure train trip ahead of them.
  by Murjax

jamesinclair wrote:
Murjax wrote: I disagree that the lack of WiFi is really hurting ridership. Not everyone brings their laptops with them. In fact more people are probably on their phones if anything. That said though, WiFi probably helps increase ridership when it's available. Everyone loves free internet, even if they are already do have data plans on their phones. My bigger question is how did the Downeaster manage to get it before the NE Regionals? State money?
It's not just laptops, EVERYTHING has wifi these days, from Kindle book readers to Nintendo DS game systems to apple ipods. The majority of people actually dont have data plans on their phones, so wifi is also useful there.
You are certainly correct there. I haven't seen much of the DS lately though (with the exception of some kids of course). The iPhone and Android devices provide a lot more than the DS ever can. What I meant when I said that the lack of WiFi doesn't necessarily hurt ridership but having it helps is that routes like the Northeast Regional provide some of the fastest transportation available at an affordable price, and without the security hassle you experience by flying. Providing it of course might draw in those who would otherwise take Southwest.
  by afiggatt

Murjax wrote:I disagree that the lack of WiFi is really hurting ridership. Not everyone brings their laptops with them. In fact more people are probably on their phones if anything. That said though, WiFi probably helps increase ridership when it's available. Everyone loves free internet, even if they are already do have data plans on their phones. My bigger question is how did the Downeaster manage to get it before the NE Regionals? State money?
The Acela ridership since Wi-Fi was added has gone up nicely while the NE Regional ridership numbers have been comparatively flat. For the first 4 months of FY2011 (October 2010 through January 2011), ridership on the Acela is up 9.2% compared to the previous year while the NE Regionals are only up +0.8%. The NE Regionals are showing the weakest growth of all of Amtrak major corridor services. The free Wi-Fi on the Acelas is obviously not the only factor but it help attracts the business and the more affluent travelers. Sure, people can access the net through their smart phone or via their laptop or iPad if it has 3G. But it costs money as it uses up their base monthly limit.

The February issue of Amtrak ink (available on the Amtrak website) has an article on the expansion of Wi-Fi service. Quoting from it: "The service is helping Amtrak attract more riders and increase revenue. Recent market research, for example, shows that the company can expect to realize an incremental 2 percent increase in ticket revenue thanks to the addition of Wi-Fi." So Amtrak's marketing department has concluded Wi-Fi helps. Still, Amtrak should have moved to add Wi-Fi to all their corridor services several years ago, but the management probably dragged their feet on it because Wi-Fi would cost money.
  by HBLR

I think if amtrak advertised a bit more they could get more people riding, wifi or not. That said, touting wifi, and no "airplane mode" for phones etc would be a selling point for some people i think.
  by Ken W2KB

HBLR wrote:I think if amtrak advertised a bit more they could get more people riding, wifi or not. That said, touting wifi, and no "airplane mode" for phones etc would be a selling point for some people i think.
I'm on Acela 2253, waiting to depart Boston for Newark, NJ as I write this, using the Amtrak WiFi. Attended the annual Boskone SF & Science convention.

Would I pay extra for WiFi? Probably not. Is it an added incentive? Yes. For some folks it probably could tip the balance between other means of transport and does lead to increased passenger satisfaction. I'm not sure that it would for longer trips where aircraft results in a shorter travel time. Many airports have WiFi available so the wait for the plane can be productive in that regard.

My next planned long distance trip is from Newark to Reno, NV in August for the annual World Science Fiction convention. (Last year it was in Australia so no train option <g>). I am using Amtrak guest points for sleeper class. Would WiFi make a difference? Not for me. Layover changing trains in Chicago is a chance to catch up. I prefer the actual view out the windows to the virtual view on a screen. Dinner occupies an hour or so of darkness, and the compartment or observation car with lights dimmed has some interesting views after dark.

Would I use WiFi? Probably to check e-mail and Railroad Net. ;-)
  by buddah

Murjax wrote: I disagree that the lack of WiFi is really hurting ridership. Not everyone brings their laptops with them. In fact more people are probably on their phones if anything. That said though, WiFi probably helps increase ridership when it's available. Everyone loves free internet, even if they are already do have data plans on their phones.
That statement Id have to disagree with you on Murjax, first I cant think of anyone who does not own a pretty current laptop not bringing it with them on any type of trip unless a computer will be provided for them at there destination. Also as other members on this forum have pointed the Internet is here to stay! Maybe NO Wi-fi is not hurting Amtrak ridership today in a large way but in the soon to be future it will. 1+ Year ago or so a similar topic was started on railroad.net and I posed a link to a site broadbandreports, as an article was posed on the seemingly necessity of the Internet. It also had data collects from over millions of households on what goods and leisure items would people cut due to the economic crisis our country is in, and almost last on the list of things people would cut would be there Internet. The Data showed households would cut there cellular phone packages, satellite or cable TV, fast food habits, and night out entertainment before they would ever get rid of or even conceder lowering there broadband usage. The ISPs have taken note of this, as now you will notice most ISP want to CAP your broadband usage, under the ruse that there networks cant handle all the traffic the Internet is generating. There is virtually no Unlimited cellular data packages anymore. If you noticed in the last year all the major cell phone companies have caped or began to throttle there cellular broadband access, thought they still flaunt the word "unlimited" all over there ads. 3G and 4G speeds but if you go over 5 gigs your cut off or throttled to 56-256kbps or face huge overage costs. So even those with Internet access on there smartphones or a usb broadband stick will greatly appreciate the option to surf the web via WI-FI on Amtraks dime.

Afiggatt.. I agree with you Amtrak should have been on the WI-FI bandwagon years ago, once VIA rail in Canada started offering the service years ago on there corridor trains it really made Amtraks NEC look bad. Darn Canucks embraced WI-FI on trains before we did...SAD. Time for Amtrak to learn from there mistake I just hope they acquire next generation technology ( the new hi-speed satellite soon to be deployed, or a LTE connection) when they roll out there system wide WI-fi and not current track-side or cellular 3G broadband.

Mr Norman... I do remember those post you made on whats the point of WI-FI on Amtrak, its not necessary as you use to comment. However Im glad to see a a man with the many years of wisdom you posses, has now embraced the digital revolution on hand and the reality that this bubble will not burst, ether jump on board or prepare yourself to be left behind is exactly whats happening. Im a MCES and the things I've seen @ CES shows and other computer conferences ( not @ liberty to say) that will be released in the next few years, literally blows 2010/11 technology out of the water. A reliable hi-speed broadband access is key to all that will be unleashed.

goodnight.j.w and R36... the cafe care may not be a strong selling point, lol. However agreed with Hi55us the allure to be able to stretch out and prop my HP super heated under sided, quad core (I7), laptop on a stable table is quite appealing.

My only concern currently with Amtrak finally rolling out WIFI is what technology do they plan to use corridor(s) and nationwide? Hopefully someone got the memo to hire a A+ tech team that will look beyond todays tech products. As technology literally moves at the speed of light I'd hate to see Amtrak again be left in the dust by rolling out last generation technology in A next generation world.
  by buddah

Ken W2KB wrote: I'm on Acela 2253, waiting to depart Boston for Newark, NJ as I write this, using the Amtrak WiFi. Attended the annual Boskone SF & Science convention.
Would I pay extra for WiFi? Probably not. Is it an added incentive? Yes.
Would I use WiFi? Probably to check e-mail and Railroad Net. ;-)
Ken I beet you to the punch by 3 years, but just north of the border..... http://www.flickr.com/photos/8453967@N08/3972544468/
  by Arborway

Another factor to consider is that Amtrak could sell advertising on the WiFi splash page to help offset operational costs. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they did so. (if they don't already - I've never been on the Acela.)
hi55us wrote:I take the peter pan bus regularly(once every month or two) from new york to Storrs, CT (Uconn) and the busses have wifi, it is without doubt the slowest internet connection I ever experience, It's about half the speed of the acela. In addition everyone know's what the bathrooms are like on the buses, plus the traffic. It's no comparison.
If anything, I hope Amtrak offers better WiFi reliability than the bus lines. I went from Hartford to NYC and back many times over the past year on Greyhound / Peter Pan, and the internet worked maybe 25% of the time. When it did work, even plaintext email took forever to download.
  by jamesinclair

"The Capitol Corridor trains – whose regular commute crowd includes state officials, business execs, professors and students – will be among the nation's first rail systems this year to offer WiFi Internet service.

The part that has riders buzzing in the aisles: Service will be free in every car on every train.

An estimated 60 percent of commute-time riders bring laptop computers aboard, corridor planning manager Jim Allison said. About half of those use air cards to connect to the Internet, paying $30 to $40 a month to their service providers."

Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/2011/02/19/341508 ... z1Ex22t5BO

As the CC uses the same train-sets as the San Joaquin, I'd assume the San Joaquin will also be getting wifi.

However, the article states:

"Amtrak operates the long-distance trains that run on the same lines as Capitol Corridor. Capitol Corridor is managed by a separate joint powers authority that plans to keep Internet access free."

But unless the plan is to turn of the wireless routers when a capital corridor train heads south....well, I doubt they'd do that.