• Any 4000-4300 MU's Anywhere

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by R Paul Carey

WOW!! Do-Do birds!!!!

These are definitely from NYC suburban service... the car on the CK&S has the correct riveted frame trucks from MU service, sporting evidence of the air whistle and windshield wiper consistent with the 4300 series. The car shown at Port Huron, on the other hand, is riding on conventional (i.e., non-motorized) trucks, which may (or may not), be original to the car.

I recall evidence of cars similar to these in service to Lake Mahopac (c.1930's), obviously towed by steam West (North) of Holland Avenue (NWP), but don't recall if they were built as trailers, or were true MU's with batteries and a reverse current relay for lighting beyond the Electric Division.
  by isaksenj

That photo of 4345 in NYC garb on closer inspection appears to be a Lackawanna MU done up in NYC paint. Shoulda picked up on the NJT 4300-series number! Coopersville and Marne is where that car ended up, and the photos on their website not only identify her as ex-Lackawanna, but show her now in CN - inspired paint:

http://www.coopersvilleandmarne.org/Equ ... oster.html

Still in all, it's been fun "raising the dead" for this List! Can only hope 4331 gets some badly-needed TLC...
  by H.F.Malone

That's one of the NYC MU cars, all right. That "barrel door" in the center is a dead give-away. Bulge was to cover the control stand when car was in middle of train and control stand was not in use.

Hard to believe that they'd carry passengers in a car looking like that-- at least give it a quick scrape and roller/brush paint job.
  by R Paul Carey

As to the 4345, I appreciate having the correction by Isaksenj: this car is definitely ex-DL&W.

NYC used the "barrel door" but DL&W "bumped out" the end sheet on the "right" (engineer's) side. The bump-out is clearly discernible on the newly-posted coopersville link.

The TLE&W train appears to have a pair of ex-NYC 4300 (or 4200) series cars, for sure!
  by UpperHarlemLine4ever

Thank you Joseph and everyone else for providing information on the few old New York Central MU's still out there. Although not air conditioned and ancient I rode them frequently when I was a youngster. The 4500's to the 4700's were a welcome improvement but these were terriric cars for their time.
  by DutchRailnut

Hard to do Hari-Kari on someone else.
  by joseph

good one dutch. i tried it on myself and missed. total incompetence.