• Remembering the 01400s

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by jonnhrr

I gues I'm showing my age but I rememeber when the bluebirds replaced my favorites the 0600/0700 cars. I hated them because you lost the view out the front that the 0600's had. Also no more cool traction sounds.

Another "feature' of the 0600's was on hot summer days they would open the front door leaving only a screen in the front, to provide "air conditioning". It was fun charging down the track with all that air blowing into the car.

Jon

by Robert Paniagua

Yeah. I'm obviously too young to remember the 0600/0700s, heck, I wasn't even born until they were probably in work car service or being used for storage in 1976. I remember seeing a book on those cars and it had a phone-booth cab, and that screen door up front along with the storm door, and the sounds you mentioned. Although I rode on a similar car in New York City, the IND/BMT R10 which was made in 1949-50 but ran up until 1991. Their IND/BMT R1 through R9 cars were also identical to the 0600/0700s.
  by jonnhrr

Robert, if you ever got to ride the old Blue Line cars (the original 1924 cars) the experience was similar.

Jon

by Robert Paniagua

I actually never got to ride on those cars, since by the time they were retired, I wasnt even born yet.

Also, I've made a couple of MP3s of the sounds as I currently have them set up. Feel free to listen and give me your opinions (and be sure to turn the volume up!). You may notice a couple of issues, since the door sounds are from an 0600 and the horn is from an 01600, but this is all still a work in progress:

I just listened to those sounds and they were interesting, I remember the brake releasing sound very well and the background hum, although they were doctored by the door chime which I remember some 01400s had, even it's PA system was spiked with a two-tone door chime during rebuilt just like all newer train equipment (except the 015/01600s). I, of course, heard the other train's horn, although the 01400s horn sounded identically to the NYCTA's cars, high pitch, one tone........

Also, was it an 0600 door chime? 0600s are Blue Line cars, unless you meant to say "01600".

by astrosa

Yes, the door sounds were from an 0600 Blue Line car. I had once made a tape recording while riding, and I was able to extract the sound clips from that. More recently I had shot some video of Red Line trains crossing the Longfellow Bridge, so I was able to get digital recordings of the horns from each type of car (the 01800 horns are awfully artificial). I haven't heard the NYCTA horns for comparison but maybe someone has a recording online.

If you're sure the 01400s had door chimes late in their lives, that's good news. I think it sounds better like that anyway.

by RailBus63

The 01400's received the P.A. systems during rebuild with the exception of 01411/01414 and 01412/01413 which received P.A.'s as bluebirds (although only 01412/01413 ran in service that way).

I'm not aware of any 01400's that received door chimes.

JD
  by Robert Paniagua

I'm not aware of any 01400's that received door chimes.

Yeah me neither, when their doors closed, they just closed without chimes, instead, I think the motorperson or guard used the bell which is used to signal one another to "pick up the radio-phone" so that they can talk privately. This bell was probably used on the 01400s to warn passengers that doors were closing. As mentioned the only chimes that any 01400 sported was for the PAS.

by astrosa

Robert Paniagua wrote:the door chime which I remember some 01400s had
Robert Paniagua wrote:Yeah me neither, when their doors closed, they just closed without chimes
Robert, thanks for sharing your memories, but you're confusing the hell out of me... I don't know if it's just the wording of your sentences but I'm having trouble making sense of what you're telling me. With Jim's comment, that seems to settle it, though - no door chimes. But apparently I can include that PA ding-dong chime for stop announcements. Is that our final answer?

One of these days I'll take another shot at getting the colors right on my interior. Slowly this is all coming together...

by Robert Paniagua

Robert, thanks for sharing your memories, but you're confusing the hell out of me... I don't know if it's just the wording of your sentences but I'm having trouble making sense of what you're telling me. With Jim's comment, that seems to settle it, though - no door chimes. But apparently I can include that PA ding-dong chime for stop announcements. Is that our final answer?

My final answer was no door closing chimes on these units. Only the PA system had chimes but NOT the door closing. Hopefully this will clear up any confusion you have. Sorry for not fully explaining myself more :-)

One of these days I'll take another shot at getting the colors right on my interior. Slowly this is all coming together...

Nice, I remember the blue interior walls it had, although your graphics showed everything else right.

by mb41

I don't have to remember the 01400's LOL :) I see a two train set everytime I go to Seashore.

They did seem like cool cars.

by Robert Paniagua

Yeah, and do you know what they are doing to them now, if they are ever gonne repower them?

by mb41

That is a Bill Pollman decision, he is subway curator. I know he is busy with the new arrivals of the NY set. He is working on putting overhead to them.

by CSX Conductor

mb41 wrote:I don't have to remember the 01400's LOL :) I see a two train set everytime I go to Seashore.
They can also be seen on one of the work trains after hours during the week. :wink:

by Robert Paniagua

Yeah, but that's ONLY IF you're taking an Old Colony (Kingston/Middleborough) MBCR Commuter train, not from the Red Line :-).

by CSX Conductor

Not sure how much of each line they do, but I know that there is usually a work extra on each line which heads South after the last revenue trains.