• Uniq. Eqpmt Sightings: Private Varnish (PV's), Charters, etc

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by daylight4449

DutchRailnut wrote:Dangerous situation, as the P42 has no way of dropping pantographs in emergency situation.
and in fact a FRA violation, a lead locomotive must be able to control all funtions of trailing locomotives for purpose of propulsion, braking, safety.
the littile joes had this cabability, so i gues modern diesel locomotives could have a similar capability as well
  by SimplySam

DutchRailnut wrote:Dangerous situation, as the P42 has no way of dropping pantographs in emergency situation.
and in fact a FRA violation, a lead locomotive must be able to control all funtions of trailing locomotives for purpose of propulsion, braking, safety.
Doesn't the NJT ACES serive to Atlantic City operate push-pull with a diesel at one end and an electric at the other? So either they have a way for an engineer in the diesel to drop the pantograph or are they operating in violation? I would imagine Amtrak could rig up the same system.
  by CSX Conductor

Dutch, the few P42's that are equipped with A.C.S.E.S. (101 - 111) have been outfitted with a pantograph control feature. I haven't had to run 66 or 67 since this has been done yet.

It's about time they did this as they had so many problems with towing the electric dead between BOS & NHV and then when they decided to just swap power in NHV it was a hassle on weekends when the Mets had a plate order in effect because they'd use one set to tow over the mets and another set of diesels between BOS&NHV, which was non-sense.
  by BuddSilverliner269

Yes in fact a road foreman notice recently came out in regards to this. Hey CSX, guess who is bidding on wanting to work 66 for 3 days a week? Yup, you guessed it. ME... :-D
  by CSX Conductor

Enjoy it Budd, only way I'll see ya on that is if I take something to NYP and get in too late for the last train home and have to deadhead back to Boston on 66, lol.
  by CHTT1

Sierra Pacific big dome riding the markers of today's detouring southbound Texas Eagle, seen as it hurtled through Steger, IL., on the former C&EI at 2:45 p.m. At first I thought it was Amtrak's Ocean View heading back to the west coast, but it was the private dome charter car.
  by Morisot

Did anyone see the blue Pullman car in the Sunnyside yard on Tuesday or Wednesday, Nov 16 or 17? I think the name on it looked like "Sheriff" .

I did some web searches and looked on the Amtrak unusual-equipment-sightings thread but couldn't find any mention or information.

Thanks,

M.
  by workextra

It's the sheriff rail car. I was told its used on the back of trains used to transport criminals. How true that is I don't know. I would guess that officers would stay in that car when not patrolling the inmates in the other cars.
It could very well be a prison car too. A sheriffs office and some cages for the inmates, Couple it to a train heading where the inmates need to go.
  by CarterB

ICRR Office Car #3 ,US 4,18, 8
AMTK 800138
PPCX 800138

Office 1917 Pullman lot #4466. Renumbered to #8 in 1940. Assigned to C. H. Mottier and J. M. Trissal in 1950's and 60's. Currently privately owned and marked Sheriff Railcar and Cripple Creek.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=1989221
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 84&nseq=12

It is a PV having NOTHING to do with transporting prisoners or anything like it.
Last edited by CarterB on Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by DutchRailnut

sheriff rail car has nothing to do with officers or crimminals, its a private railcar.
  by Morisot

Thanks for the information and the picture. My two railfans were sad that I didn't snap a photo--but I was standing on a crowded LIRR train at the time. The car looked, er, very pretty to me. I think my guys would be happy to be locked up on it!

Thanks again,

M.
  by MACTRAXX

workextra wrote:It's the sheriff rail car. I was told its used on the back of trains used to transport criminals. How true that is I don't know. I would guess that officers would stay in that car when not patrolling the inmates in the other cars.
It could very well be a prison car too. A sheriffs office and some cages for the inmates, Couple it to a train heading where the inmates need to go.
Workextra: Thanks to Carter B's pictures and now remembering the PV railcar in question it did not look like a hoosegow on steel wheels to me!
MACTRAXX
  by Otto Vondrak

workextra wrote:It's the sheriff rail car. I was told its used on the back of trains used to transport criminals. How true that is I don't know. I would guess that officers would stay in that car when not patrolling the inmates in the other cars.
Whoever told you that was trying to mislead you. There is no such thing as a "prisoner transport car." Add to the fact that there is no where in the national Amtrak system where you could switch out a railcar to serve a prison, and you have and end to this tall tale.

-otto-
  by Gilbert B Norman

#5(22) has a third unit F-59 CDTX 2011; same consist has a #370XX Diner-Lounge (X Country Cafe) in place of the regular 380XX Diner.