• Bridgeport

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by fairlane57

:( Maybe the situation on I-95 after the tanker accident is a blessing in disguise. Hopefully it'll get more people to choose to go between NYC and Boston (and points between) by rail instead.
I've driven this route many times, and Bridegport is the worst, by far, even on a good day.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Forget today, you should have seen I-95 Bridgeport viaduct even back when the road opened as the toll Connecticut Turnpike ($.25 tollbooths @ Greenwich, East Norwalk, and Stratford on the West End) during Fall 1957.

Or in so many words, you Didn't want to see it.

Here is an article from Today's New York Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/26/nyreg ... AS.html?hp

This is not the first there has been a major disruption on I-95. During June 1983 a section of the Southbound bridge over the Mianus River decided it was tired and wanted to take a swim. There were several fatalities from that incident as well.

by drewh

I was on the 931am Acela departure from NWK to PVD on Tuesday. No more busy than usual - I always get 2 seats to myself out of NYC. NWK-NYC on the otherhand is almost standing room only.

So despite the fare incentives (a MET-PHL ticket on Acela costs as much as a NWK-PVD - 3 times further), these fares don't seem to be filling the trains.
  by fairlane57

I took the NYP/PVD last October and the fare was something like $86. NYP to BOS was $96

Today I wanted to find out how much to Baltimore from NYP and it is $150.....but a year and a half ago it was $110. Why the substantial fare increase? Is this because of demand or the type of rider that travels on Acela? or is it to cover high maintenance/overhead costs?

I long for the days when I was in college, when the fare on Amtrak, Bridgeport to Providence, was $27 (1985-90), Bridgeport to Baltimore was $50 and the same, but on the Metroliner was $75.

by drewh

I agree.. even $80+ (I think it was $86 last week) from Met to Phl is rediculous.

Even the regional on weekends is $40+ (each way). How is that going to get people off the highways!! I pay it because I hate driving - but my friend thinks its crazy so I end up paying for him so we can go on the train. $170 for a night out in Phl for 2, how many people do you think do that?? And thats just getting there and back - not drinks, dinner, etc.