Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by AmeriKenArtist

Anybody have info/photos of the original mosaics? I saw a few new pieces recently. And I saw the huge mosaic in the Times Square station. But I prefer the original symbols of each neighborhood. Any information is greatly appreciated.

by JFB

Contact the NYC Transit Museum at (718) 694-1068. They have an extensive archive of transit art, with photos and documentation.

Online, try NYCSubway.org's IRT section. They provide photos for each station, most of which include mosaic details.

Grand Central, Fulton Street (East Side IRT), and Clark Street are among the most interesting. Some stations boast crests, too: Brooklyn Bridge, Borough Hall, and, of course, the famous Astor Place beaver.

Enjoy.

by Phil Hom

Take a look at the book "Subway Style" for a few closeup photos.

by GP38

In addition to nycsubway.org, and "Subway Style" book, both probably some of the best choices, here's another website that explains each original station quite good too, and they do touch on the mosaics too:

http://www-tech.mit.edu/Subway/Archives/Project.html

Also, there is a book from the 90's called "Subway Ceramics", by Lee Stooky. I don't know if it's still in print though. The "Subway Style" book just came out recently, so is in every bookstore.