• shortlines & motor cars

• A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads
A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads

Moderator: Aa3rt

by callmove

are there any shortlines that still use motor cars or speeders for track work or inspection?
  by wigwagfan

The Portland & Western has a speeder still in use for a track gang.

The Willamette Shores Trolley has a couple of speeders. I know the Oregon Pacific RR owns a speeder but I don't believe they typically use it (however they have hosted public speeder excursions; it's actually the only railroad I've ridden a speeder on myself).
  by litz

Neither the Ga Northeastern nor the Blue Ridge Scenic actually own motorcars, but there are a sizable number people involved with the Blue Ridge Scenic who own them.

They run 1 or 2 "work trips" a year for track cleanup (with the RR's permission, of course, and as a NARCOA approved trip) to keep things looking pretty for the passengers on the train.

As an aside ... anyone have a clue how some of the stuff found trackside ever manages to actually GET trackside?

I mean seriously - how does an entire stove/cooktop end up in the middle of the N.Ga woods next to train tracks in the middle of nowhere?

Or (and no, I'm not kidding) a stainless steel kitchen sink?

- litz
  by Arrestmespi

from personal experience of watching people dump
ATV's and big ole jacked up pickumup trucks
  by CBRy

Walkersville Southern RR still operates speeders and small track cars
as part of their maintenance operations, I believe.
  by RailVet

Yes, the WSRR does indeed use speeders for track maintenance. I don't foresee a time when they will be replaced by hi-railers.
  by Arrestmespi

The Maryland and Pennsylvania railroad preservation society runs speeders both for excursion service and work duties on a couple miles of disconnected track starting in muddy creek forks, PA