Railroad Forums 

• shortlines & motor cars

• A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads
A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads

Moderator: Aa3rt

#819295  by callmove

are there any shortlines that still use motor cars or speeders for track work or inspection?
 #819940  by wigwagfan

The Portland & Western has a speeder still in use for a track gang.

The Willamette Shores Trolley has a couple of speeders. I know the Oregon Pacific RR owns a speeder but I don't believe they typically use it (however they have hosted public speeder excursions; it's actually the only railroad I've ridden a speeder on myself).
 #820045  by litz

Neither the Ga Northeastern nor the Blue Ridge Scenic actually own motorcars, but there are a sizable number people involved with the Blue Ridge Scenic who own them.

They run 1 or 2 "work trips" a year for track cleanup (with the RR's permission, of course, and as a NARCOA approved trip) to keep things looking pretty for the passengers on the train.

As an aside ... anyone have a clue how some of the stuff found trackside ever manages to actually GET trackside?

I mean seriously - how does an entire stove/cooktop end up in the middle of the N.Ga woods next to train tracks in the middle of nowhere?

Or (and no, I'm not kidding) a stainless steel kitchen sink?

- litz
 #844282  by CBRy

Walkersville Southern RR still operates speeders and small track cars
as part of their maintenance operations, I believe.
 #844738  by RailVet

Yes, the WSRR does indeed use speeders for track maintenance. I don't foresee a time when they will be replaced by hi-railers.
 #847772  by Arrestmespi

The Maryland and Pennsylvania railroad preservation society runs speeders both for excursion service and work duties on a couple miles of disconnected track starting in muddy creek forks, PA