Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by snitkofj

I know the MBTA 480 shore power at stations & yards where trains get parked overnight, the engines are shut down regularly. I am somewhat surprised LIRR doesn't have a similar set up, but maybe i shouldn't be :wink:
  by Super Seis

The 400's and 500's are equipped with 480VAC layover equipment. Whether or not it gets used is a question for the Diesel Ops mgmt. to answer.

SS
  by keyboardkat

Super Seis wrote:The 400's and 500's are equipped with 480VAC layover equipment. Whether or not it gets used is a question for the Diesel Ops mgmt. to answer.

SS
What's 480 volt layover equipment? How do they produce this current without running the engine?
  by DutchRailnut

They get it from LIPA
  by LIRR272

The east end of the island is equipped with 480 V layover devices and they are always used. However, in Richmond Hill, they are not used. If the the surrounding neighborhood begins to complain about the noise and pollution, then they will use the equipment. OB, PJ neighborhood complained the most so the railroad acted on the situation.
  by hammerfang

I drove past the OB yard a few weeks ago and there were 3 DMs just idling away. This was late at night too when not many trains run.
  by mirrodie

I can understand things being a chore to start them up but it doesnt make sense.

All you need is faith
To hear the diesels humming

Listen, I love hearing them humming, but while the RR can talk about cuts and screwing their employees, its this example of waste that needs to be evaluated and cut.
  by n2cbo

Ðauntless wrote:Block heaters/Jacket water heaters are a wonderful alternative to pumping about a can of ether into the intake in the cold weather. A warm engine, is a happy engine.
NO NO NO!!!!!! You should N E V E R use ether in starting a locomotive engine!!!!!!!!!!! Some Idiot tried that stunt back when Amtrak was using Power Cars with non-HEP equipped Locos back in the 70s. He nearly blew up the power car!!! And that was a much SMALLER engine... (No, It wasn't me...)
  by Ðauntless

Sometimes, ya just gotta do, watcha gotta do.
  by fire5506

Ether is used quite often on cold engines. I've done it many times. Never used more than about 1/4 can sprayed in a hand hole on each side of the engine, close the covers and crank it, lots of knocking and black smoke as it starts. Total 1/2 can used. Have also sprayed it in the air filters and let the engine suck it in.
Had a foreman use a whole can once, blew the gaskets out of every hand hole cover in the air box and blew one clean off the engine, took a set of carbody doors with it.
Of course this is in Sunny Florida.
  by wbrennan49

I'm surprised that LIC doesn't have a fule pad. Did it at one time?

Bill