Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by hammerfang

What is the range of a DE/DM 30 and MP15? How often can they go before being refueled and is Morris Park the only place that it can be done? I have to imagine that they can hold quite a lot of fuel. How/Where does the LIRR get that fuel from?
  by Publius Plunkett

The DE/DM's consume approximately 300 gallons in a 24hr period sitting in a yard, whereas the 1500's consume around 95 gallons. On the road, the DE/DM's will consume with an average train 400-500 gallon per 200 miles. The 1500's consumed approximately 450 gallons on the same trip and when used as "P" engines, 150 gallons per 24hr period.

They get the fuel from various suppliers per the bidding process.
  by hammerfang

Thanks for the info, where do they normally get refueled? Morris Park?
  by drumz0rz

Good question. so how often does a DE/DM30 get refilled? Is going out of service to fill up part of the scheduling?
  by kmart

hammerfang wrote:Thanks for the info, where do they normally get refueled? Morris Park?
They can be refueled in morris park,richmond hill(storage yard) or port jefferson.
  by hammerfang

Morris Park and Richmond Hill are right next to each other correct?
  by LongIslandTool

The enginehouse foreman in Morris Park and the yardmaster in Richmond Hill keep track of the fuel used and schedule engines and their trips accordingly. Engineers too must check their fuel and know that is is sufficient for their trip when doing their pre-departure inspection. Ultimately, the responsibility of assuring an engine is sufficiently fueled rests on the engineer.

I recall at least one trial where an engineer was given time off for running out of fuel.

There have been times when an engine ran out of fuel on the road and another engine was sent to rescue it.

There have been other times when home heating oil suppliers were called to fuel engines in yards, but that hasn't happened in many years. The railroad has stiffed just about every heating oil company on the Island, so that's no longer an option.
  by RogerOverOutRR

Engines get fueled regularly at the fuel pad in Port Jefferson, too. The morning dual mode, #605, usually gets fueled 2-3 times per week and has two engines. Don't know if regular fueling takes place at locations other than what I said and what's listed above. There are fiberglass drip pans at all other diesel terminals, but none have a fueling station.
  by mirrodie

the DMs WASTE 400 gallons in 24 hrs of idling in Morris park?

WTF???

Is that not the most insane WASTE of energy or am I overlooking something?
  by hammerfang

I agree it does seem pretty wasteful both for an economic sense and an environmental sense. Although from my understanding the starting process of such a large diesel engine as found in the DE/DMs isn't all that easy once the engine has been shut off for a long period of time.
  by LongIslandTool

Yes, it's a chore to start these things up, Hammer.

But you or I would gladly do it if the $1200 of fuel wasted was coming out of our pockets.

The continued idling of these engines is just another example of the waste in a government agency.

It answerable to anyone, the batteries and starters would be repaired, kept up to standards, and these engines would never be polluting the Island with $9,000 each of wasted diesel fuel weekly.
  by hammerfang

Sounds like Newsday could have a field day with this if they haven't already.
  by Super Seis

Morris Park fuel pad is closed. Tanks are stenciled 'Abandoned 2-24-2010.'

There is a device called 'AESS'-( Automatic Engine Start Stop) that can be retrofitted to existing locomotives. It cuts down on un-neccessary idling.

The 1500's have it-but it doesn't appear to be used. It was also planned for the 400's and 500's, but ....someone changed their mind ?

SS
  by Ðauntless

Block heaters/Jacket water heaters are a wonderful alternative to pumping about a can of ether into the intake in the cold weather. A warm engine, is a happy engine.