• Second Sleeper Accomidation Ticket

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Jersey_Mike

In the past when I get a sleeper for two people each ticket lists the sleeper accommodation on it. Today when I bought a pair of tickets on the Cap with a sleeper at 30th St the person seemed a bit confused and gave me one ticket with the sleeper accommodation and one with just Reserved Coach. When I got to Baltimore I went to the ticket window there and asked if that was alright and the guy said it was perfectly fine because, of course, the roomette is for two people. I'm still worried this might cause a hassle if not on the train then on one of the first class lounges. Should I go and try to get the Reserved Coach ticket changed to show the sleeper accommodation?
  by The Metropolitan

You and the other person are on the same reservation?

I once made added in a Sleeper Upgrade after my friend and I decided not to coach back from Chicago. Since her reservation was different than mine, my ticket read "3001/13" while hers simply read "SUPERLINER ROOMETTE"

All other reservations that I've made online simply had the car/room on both tickets.
  by Jersey_Mike

We are on the same reservation. I had to do this in person because I had an exchange voucher.
  by JimBoylan

I've had a similar problem where the other person in my room is traveling on a different itinerary (getting on at a different station, handicapped fare, etc.). The other person does have to be listed on her ticket as something other than "reserved coach", because in sleeper, she gets the lowest fare bucket price, even if coach is sold out! This used to be called a "conjunction" ticket and an Amtrak supervisor must get on the phone to make it work. Still, her name won't be on the train's manifest, as an "open" ticket has no assigned space. The conductor will complain because in case of disaster, she won't be included in the count of bodies to be found. The sleeping car attendant will tell him to go away, before a potential additional tip is lost.
  by Jersey_Mike

The other person does have to be listed on her ticket as something other than "reserved coach", because in sleeper, she gets the lowest fare bucket price, even if coach is sold out!
Due to the several months advance purchase I got the lowest fare bucket, but I think I will go and get the second ticket put on the accommodation instead of being just a Reserved Coach unless anyone can provide a personal anecdote as to why that is not necessary..