• Redline subway drags woman & Purse stuck in the doors

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by sery2831

What I don't understand is why the T has never modified the doors of the 01500 car series. These are the only subway cars that do not have door sensor strips that operate currently on the T.
  by pennsy

I would love to give that young lady the phone number of Gloria Allred. What a lawsuit that would be.
  by GP40MC 1116

At least the MBTA is quick with a prompt response to this incident

"When I was appointed acting general manager four months ago, I made it very clear that matters of safety will be my top priority for as long as I serve. The behavior of the train crew in this incident was inexcusable, and won't be tolerated," Acting MBTA General Manager William Mitchell said in a statement. The attendant's primary responsibility is to ensure that the doorways are clear of people or objects, Mitchell said. "By taking this swift and decisive disciplinary action, we make it abundantly clear that customer safety is paramount at the MBTA," he said."
  by BostonUrbEx

I don't see why the operator was suspended. I understand why the attendant would be fired, but it's only the attendants job to check the doors and that's basically their only task, right? The operator didn't do anything wrong or unusual?
  by sery2831

Initially I wondered the same thing since the operator leaving a station should be looking forward. BUT since the train stopped, it must be partly to how the situation was handled after the trains was stopped. But that is totally an assumption on my part.
  by bierhere

The biggest issue seem to be moving the train while someone was clearly in the safety zone. The woman herself did the typically bonehead decision that the train had to be made at all costs. And while the train attendant seemed to make the biggest mistake, the woman clearly shared some of the blame.
  by jamesinclair

bierhere wrote:The biggest issue seem to be moving the train while someone was clearly in the safety zone. The woman herself did the typically bonehead decision that the train had to be made at all costs. And while the train attendant seemed to make the biggest mistake, the woman clearly shared some of the blame.
Apparently it was the last train of the night.

Even if the attendant wasnt fired for the incident, it is bad customer service to abandon people on the platform.

It's a separate issue, but the MBTA sucks at informing customers if theyve missed the last train. Ive taken the last train many times and have to inform people waiting for an inbound train that there will be no more, outbound only.
  by acela 2036

I agree as well that the operator got suspended. But Ive seen the operators usually stick their head out the window before leaving a station (yes on the redline as well).
  by StevieC48

acela 2036 wrote:I agree as well that the operator got suspended. But Ive seen the operators usually stick their head out the window before leaving a station (yes on the redline as well).
It's not the motorman's responsibility to stick their head out it is the train attendant to keep his/her head out untill the train is safely underway. The motorman should greive the suspension he had no control of what his guard does.
  by danib62

Like I think John said earlier. The video doesn't show the whole story. It's very well that the operator was suspended for his conduct after the incident. I agree though that from the video he didn't do anything wrong as it's not his responsibility to check for people being dragged/caught.
  by RailBus63

Clearly the door operator deserves discipline if not termination – he/she was obviously derelict in their duty. That said, unless there was an equipment malfunction, the woman was also partially to blame for attempting to enter through doors that were in the process of closing, and she was just dumb to risk injury by hanging onto the bag as the train began to depart.
  by GP40MC 1116

The one aspect of the video I find odd among the circumstances is why the train stopped. Clearly the Train Attendant was not looking both ways out of the window to see if the doors had any obstructions, because if he or she did this incident never would have happened. Also to mention the motorman was already in the tunnel when the train was halted so they would be unaware of something happening a few cars back. I wonder if a passenger inside the train noticed what was going on and pulled the emergency brake at the end of the car?
  by diburning

As for the operator, I think this all comes down to what his/her responsibilities are (although he/she may not stick his/her head out the window to check in practice, is it actually one of his/her responsibilities as outlined in the job description and/or training?)

If the operator IS supposed to check before leaving as outlined in training, job description, or rules, but is not enforced as the second operator/guard is already doing it, then it is understandable that he/she got suspended according to those rules (once again, only if the rules say so). If not, then the MBTA shouldn't have suspended the operator.

Does anyone know for sure what the rules are?
  by sery2831

When leaving a station the operator must be looking forward.