Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by jlaroccoii

I was messing around on the MTH HO site and found the 2010 catalog. Looks like we get a "joe" this time around. From what I've read on other dealer sites, it will be diecast with road numbers 801 and 802. Looking forward to that. Check the link below.

http://www.mthhotrains.com/
  by jlaroccoii

Sorry, all three numbers with "the Little Engine That Could" on the nose. It looks awesome.
  by justalurker66

"Milwaukee Road Little Joe" ... gotta get one in our colors. (Ahh ... deep in the catalog the RIGHT colors!)
Nice to see operating pantographs: "remotely controlled motorized pantographs that rise and fall on locomotive direction changes".

Then again, for $399.95 my wife wants it to come with a train ticket!
  by dinwitty

Note if I buy this I will strip out the DCS system and put in a DCC system.
Dunno if they will do a DCC ready version.

This has been noted on the Trains MR forum already. Since I will model the 50s, I don't need the "litle trains that could" emblem, tho a curious touch.
The pans create an issue if running from overhead, you can't have both drop down at the same time!. This will be obvious when running 2 rail and the pans do the up down drop but not powered thru them. Its more eye candy than practical.
If I power thru overhead which I will I still need 2 rail to control things like raising pantagraphs, (but still power thru overhead).
Flipping pantagraphs at every switching move isnt needed, just an end of run flip-over. Like I said, its more eye candy.
Doing powered pantagraphs is not a new concept, it was done for an O scale GG1 back in an old issue of MR in the late 40's, something to show "action" when an engine switches from Overhead to 3rd rail running using center rail to power the pans at the right place, designed really for public display action, than your serious modeler doing switching duties, I won't be flipping pantagraphs on every switch move. I just wonder tho how your gonna do the pan drop on the fly over catenary work areas....

:spock:

oh, I recall watching a video on the Virginian and the jackshafts were running both pans up.
  by justalurker66

Rewiring it to make it work to your standard of "prototype" is just part of the challenge. At least the workings are there to move the pantagraphs. Wire them as needed.
  by dinwitty

justalurker66 wrote:Rewiring it to make it work to your standard of "prototype" is just part of the challenge. At least the workings are there to move the pantagraphs. Wire them as needed.
Do I wire it to MTH's standard or prototype standard?

What it really needs is a battery and wireless control of the pans as they are Pneumatic controlled if you're going to simulate pan workings correctly.

Its also been a long arguement about the compatibility issues of DCS vs DCC, as DCC is Open source, and DCS is proprietary.
  by justalurker66

dinwitty wrote:
justalurker66 wrote:Rewiring it to make it work to your standard of "prototype" is just part of the challenge. At least the workings are there to move the pantagraphs. Wire them as needed.
Do I wire it to MTH's standard or prototype standard?
For you I'd say "just like the real thing" prototype since MTH standard doesn't seem to match. I'm not planning on actually powering from O.H. wire (I'm not that far into prototype) but I suppose you could use track power for control/visiting diesel trains and O.H. for motive power on the Joes. (No one expects a modeler to use prototype coal or diesel fuel in H0 scale ... I don't place the burden of O.H. electric or third rail on those modeling electric trains.)

I have not researched remote control systems too much ... but I thought the rails were always powered with the control modules deciding speed and direction of the train. If additional control circuits are available on the decoder you should be able to control the pantagraph's individually (both or either up or down). My point was that at least with the workings there you only have to figure out the wiring and not how to add the pneumatics or whatever moves the arm. You're one step closer to prototype.
  by dinwitty

Digitrax make a function controller that does not do motor control, rather it turns lights on/off etc. I can put train power DCC on the overhead then pantagraph control on the track, pans down, it doesn't run but I can raise/lower pans.

I think you just helped me decide to keep my track 2 rail compatible and have a separate power deal for the overhead somehow. It means any overhead power locos cannot use both rails for power return. Guess that will be just smart if a switch is on the engine for both rails it would short the throttle system, make sure thats eliminated. Occasional Diesel runs like the South Shore SW9 would be possible or a reroute of a train. Looks like I pull my 2 rail-overhead switch off my sideboard.

I couldn't run it anyway that its meant to be run, powered overhead.