Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by doepack

These routes are actually SLOWER during rush hours, or so says the statistics on its average train speeds according to the 2009 budget. Not suprisingly, the 31.4 mph systemwide average speed for rush hour trains is by far the lowest in the industry when compared to other major commuter haulers, but what I don't understand is why Metra even bothered distinguishing peak/off peak speeds to routes like SWS (only a difference of 0.1) since it has local service throughout the day, with no express runs (except for 803, which only skips two stations, but on this route, I guess that qualifies as an express). Also, how is it possible that:

1) The weekday speeds for MD/W for both times of day are essentially the same (difference of 0.1), yet there are rush hour express runs...

2) Rush hour speeds are slower on the Rock, despite the presence of more main line express service...

Also, the schedule padding for off peak trains on BNSF is very clear, given the wide gap between peak and off peak speeds. But I'd sure like to know how they determined the slower rush hour speeds for some lines, which is odd to say the least...
  by GWoodle

I'd like to see what the dwell times are at some key stations. Also, the difference in boarding 3/4 cars at a time? Adding another minute at 0 mph does wonders.
  by doepack

GWoodle wrote:I'd like to see what the dwell times are at some key stations. Also, the difference in boarding 3/4 cars at a time? Adding another minute at 0 mph does wonders.
It sure does, and the funny thing is, Metra already factors this into the schedules of many rush hour trains, especially in the morning. The longer dwell times is precisely the reason why inbound rush hour express trains on the Burlington that highball into CUS from Naperville are allotted 18 min. between there and Aurora, a full 5 minutes longer than the rush hour locals and off-peak runs. Other lines have similar adjustments to their rush hour service, though usually not quite to that degree, where we're talking about a 5 minute range in running times. But those 12 daily Naperville expresses weigh in with an average speed of about 42mph, and as such, contributes greatly to the wide disparity in the peak/off peak speed averages...
  by doepack

A similar discussion regarding the average speed of certain trains is going on over at the SEPTA board. Not holding my breath on Metra ever becoming "up to speed" in a like manner...
  by metraRI

For RI, you have to factor in the fact that for almost every mainline express, there is a branch local... pretty much canceling each other out. Add that, along with longer dwell times due to higher ridership and slower train speeds due to longer trains, you get a slower average during the rush. RI could probably do better in the schedule department as I have said before... most recently I've noticed the mainline limit between 99th Street and 127th Street has been raised to 79mph from 60... not much of a difference, but every little improvement helps, however not if Metra doesn't take advantage of them.
  by buddah

Id like to see how MED weighs into this equation. As there cars are all powered and deal with less resistance compared to the rest of the Metra fleet. not to mention with a 6 car max the difference in schedule should not be as great as with loco hauled trains. A metra mid day dinky will always beet a rush hour train by far. I guess for MED is a much greater dwell time and conflicting schedule with NICTD that contributes to there reason .
  by justalurker66

MED's biggest problem is the three tracks into Randolph and a very busy interlocking that all of the inbound trains have to escape Randolph St to get back to the yard. NICTD is limited to the single connection to that interlocking but they take care of car storage on their own tracks (only revenue runs on Metra's line).