Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by justalurker66

As part of the State of Indiana's budget bill, the following was passed (taken from the bill summary):
Provides for a referendum in November 2009 in Lake, Porter, LaPorte, and St. Joseph counties for the creation of a regional transportation district in northern Indiana ("district"). Provides that the district is created January 1, 2010, if the voters in at least two of the counties vote in favor of the creation of the district. Specifies that the district consists of all the incorporated and unincorporated territory in those counties where the majority of those voting on the public question vote in favor of creating the district. Provides for a regional funding, service area, and coordination board, a regional transportation district advisory board, a commuter rail service board (which is the northern Indiana commuter rail service board (NICTD)), a rail service advisory board, a bus service board, and a bus service advisory board. Creates a rail and bus service division for the district. Provides that the bus service division serves Lake County and Porter County (if the county is a member county). If the district is established, transfers authority to fund and operate a bus system from Lake County and Porter County or municipalities within Lake County or Porter County (if the county is a member county) to the bus service division, and terminates the existing transportation authorities and corporations in Lake and Porter counties. Authorizes the bus service division to impose a property tax, including a property tax pledged before January 1, 2010, to pay for bonds, loans, other obligations, or lease rentals related to a public transportation system in Lake County or Porter County (if the county is a member county). Provides that the property tax may be imposed only in the area in which the property tax could have been imposed for property taxes first due and payable in 2010. Permits the district board to impose a regional public transportation improvement tax on the income of individuals residing in a member county. Provides that the maximum improvement tax rate in any member county is 0.25%. Requires the improvement tax rate for capital in each member county to be based on the capital improvement needs of each member county as determined by the district board. Requires the improvement tax rate for operating in each member county to be based on the number of passengers and passenger miles. Permits each division board to contract with the Indiana finance authority for issuing debt.
WNDU News reported yesterday:
"Ind. Rep. Jackie Walorski, (R) Jimtown suggests that St. Joseph County ignore a law that requires a voter referendum to be held on November 3rd."

She does not believe the state has the power to order or will enforce the law requiring a referendum. Being an off year for elections there is an expense involved in holding a special election for a referendum. That is what Rep Walorski would like to avoid.

By my reading of the summary it would default the county to NOT being part of the RTD, without public input. I doubt that St Joseph Co voters will vote in favor of this anyways since the county itself is raising taxes for operations, but if the state orders a referendum I believe the voters should at least get a choice to vote it down. If I read the summary right, the actual cost to county residents will be limited by the number of passengers and route miles. There are only 14.5 (or so) route miles in St Joe Co.

The only way I see this passing in St Joe Co (assuming a vote is held) is with a really good sales job reminding residents that money IS being spent to improve their end of the line (including reducing the route mileage with the proposed reroute to the west side of the airport and speeding up South Bend trains through Michigan City) and that the money isn't just for the West Lake project and the rest of the line.

I wonder how much the new weekend schedule will affect the vote? Cutting trains and asking for money isn't a good combination. Just another opportunity for the PR department to sell the schedule changes as an IMPROVEMENT in service (which I believe it is ... the remaining trains have a better schedule and a better chance of being on time) instead of a reduction.
  by dinwitty

oh, I guess its okay to go 90 mph on the highways, you won't get a ticket, just ignore the law.

I wanne see bus removed and Light rail inserted...
  by justalurker66

Porter County ... NO 12,255 voters said "no" to the referendum while just 3,122 voted "yes."
http://blogs.post-trib.com/street/2009/ ... to_rt.html

St Joseph County ... NO 95% (19,640) voted no, and 5% (1,053) voted yes
http://www.wndu.com/hometop/headlines/69015442.html

Not a lot of press in favor of the RTD. Lake and LaPorte counties refused to hold an election.
  by justalurker66

One of the original proposals for the RTD was to have county officials decide whether or not their county would participate. It is possible that something like that will come up in this next session. They can also try to just create the district without local approval.

I can see the first option being tried ... with a lot of pressure on whatever county officials they choose to follow the will of the people vs government doing what is best for you (voters are too stupid to know what is good for them, other than electing the powers that be). No, I don't agree with the concept but it seems that elected officials often get tied up in their own opinions and doing what they think is best regardless of the people they (allegedly) serve.

The second option would be more controversial ... representatives from all 92 counties voting a tax on four counties? Not a good thing.

I don't see them letting this drop. I suppose the best case scenario would be to just vote on the same question again next November (since half the counties refused to take a vote).

As far as the merits of the RTD ... it needs to be explained what money will be taken and where it is going. My reading of the proposal was that it is "up to" 0.25% income tax pro-rated based on route miles and where the work is being done. But I also understand that once the government has the authority to tax they WILL use it. Often.