Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by jb9152

justalurker66 wrote:It looks like you'll need to take a weed whacker. The "street view" for that location shows a clump of trees.

(I wish we could get one of Google's 360 degree cameras and take it down the entire railway from South Bend to Randolph, but I'd settle for a modern "cab ride" video. Something from this century.)
NICTD has installed cameras on its railcars (most of them are done at this point), both interior and exterior view. I've seen several head-end camera recordings that would probably be worth a tidy sum on eBay. :wink:
  by dinwitty

the steeplecab is part of Bab Harris's planing for the South Bend line in the works if it ever takes off. If the trends keep going such as BNSF electrification and being green and so on, maybe it will convince and all the blockades will fall.
  by justalurker66

jb9152 wrote:
justalurker66 wrote:It looks like you'll need to take a weed whacker. The "street view" for that location shows a clump of trees.

(I wish we could get one of Google's 360 degree cameras and take it down the entire railway from South Bend to Randolph, but I'd settle for a modern "cab ride" video. Something from this century.)
NICTD has installed cameras on its railcars (most of them are done at this point), both interior and exterior view. I've seen several head-end camera recordings that would probably be worth a tidy sum on eBay. :wink:
Let me know if you see me (just kidding) ...
I took a picture of one of the cameras a few weeks ago, so you probably have a picture of me taking a picture of you taking a picture of me. :)
ImageImage
  by MikeF

It's not much, but here's the photo I have "on file" of the steeple cab.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by superbad

so the steeple cab is in south bend, not MC? and on seperate topic, BNSF electrification is apparently for real.... I wonder what metra will do and I presume since their BNSF line is part of the trans-con that it will be electrified and apparently this timeline for this works back from 2015, which is not long from now..
  by MikeF

No, the steeple cab is in Michigan City.

This thread has started to wander pretty far from the original topic. Just a friendly reminder, let's post in the appropriate existing threads (and forums) or start new ones for new topics.
  by byte

superbad wrote:so the steeple cab is in south bend, not MC? and on seperate topic, BNSF electrification is apparently for real.... I wonder what metra will do and I presume since their BNSF line is part of the trans-con that it will be electrified and apparently this timeline for this works back from 2015, which is not long from now..
At the risk of being off topic, I must correct this old post: The BNSF "transcon" is the ex-ATSF line from IL to CA. In Chicago terms, this is the BNSF trackage from 16th street tower to Joliet. Last time any of those tracks saw passenger service was when Amtrak's Southwest Chief was routed over them up until 1996 or so.
  by dinwitty

Thats a huge chunk to electrify, I rode the SW Chief years ago visiting my buddy in California. They took it off that route?

Back to the MC reroute.

I thought it was going to be double track all the way, instead it has a passing siding.
Looks like the building I bought my Virginian EL-1 crank shaft engines would be razed, consider that building some bit of history as far as I go. Corner of Franklin and 11th SW side. Business owner railfan also of course, I have his name just don't recall it right off.
  by justalurker66

Initially single track except at the station ... read the earlier posts in this thread for details.
The ROW will allow for double tracking when that time comes.

I did note that on this diagram it appears that Track 1 is being built first with the station to the south and the passing track to the north. But this (of course) very preliminary. I do like the alignment and how it ties into the existing line and am glad that the city posted the document.
  by dinwitty

I was thinking the station was going to be way further west, but nope, practically the same place, just about a block west.