• Amtrak F40AC #202

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Kurt-Trirail

Hello all,

I just recently came across the history of this unit - rebuilt by ABB in 1988, 24" carbody extension, etc.; understandably, I was therefore prompted to locate a photo of the post-rebuild configuration.

So far, I've run into this ingle photo http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=1677688 - and nothing else; near as I can figure it, the 24" was added over the rear anticlimber as in the fashion of most CAT HEP-equipped F40's rebuilt by most of the commuter agencies, rather then into the frame (in addition to a squared-off tank and a slight bulge + radiator on the carbody side.

Do any additional photographs of this unit exist? Far as I can tell, it was on the road from 1989-1993 in the least - I'd be rather surprised if it wasn't photographed more then just this once in its 4 years out on the road. I've been considering modeling it for MSTS from my pre-existing F40PH-2C model, though I'd find it rather difficult to do so without additional photos.

Take care,

-Kurt
  by DutchRailnut

not aware of many pictures, #202 is currently stored at AAR test center in Pueblo colorado.

202 TTCI, DOT Avondale, Pueblo CO (rebuilt as test-bed following wreck in 1994)(crash tests 31 Jan 2002)
  by Kurt-Trirail

DutchRailnut wrote:not aware of many pictures, #202 is currently stored at AAR test center in Pueblo colorado.

202 TTCI, DOT Avondale, Pueblo CO (rebuilt as test-bed following wreck in 1994)(crash tests 31 Jan 2002)
That's another thing - I dug up video of those crash tests with the Silverliner II's. I question whether it was #202 that was used for the purpose - it is obvious the example in the crash tests is outfitted with a stock Phase II underframe layout, and there is no evidence of a body extension. Yet, #202 clearly shows an angular fuel tank in that one photo, and of course, the body extension.

-Kurt
  by DutchRailnut

The Test center had a few F40's, the 202 is reported still intact, its saved as AC populsion testbed.
The body extension is almost same as the mncr f40's in njt service, it only covers rear platform and ellminates the steps.
  by early80sNECguy

I have several photos of #202 at Wilmington Shops after the A/C rebuild. I need to locate them and I will post. I recall a weekend of visits there where it was hooked up to a Pooch (P30ch) and shuffled back and forth on the yard tracks with a bunch of "suits" on board. I don;t recall it lokking any different than a standard F40, but its been a while....
  by Kurt-Trirail

early80sNECguy wrote:I have several photos of #202 at Wilmington Shops after the A/C rebuild. I need to locate them and I will post. I recall a weekend of visits there where it was hooked up to a Pooch (P30ch) and shuffled back and forth on the yard tracks with a bunch of "suits" on board. I don;t recall it lokking any different than a standard F40, but its been a while....
I'd be most grateful for those photos - would aid in the 3D modeling of this variant considerably.

-Kurt
  by early80sNECguy

Here are some photos taken in Wilmington around 1989-1990. #202 was coupled to P30ch #705 on one occasion and by itself on the other. I tried to give you a shot of each angle.

Cool day in the shops with a NJT GG1, E60, AEM7, GP9, SW7, P30ch and F40AC! :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by early80sNECguy

here is the rear view.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by early80sNECguy

Here is #705.......such a rare sight in Wilmington!
  by Kurt-Trirail

Simply outstanding shots. Might I ask if you have a larger version of the first and third photographs of #202 (if email would work, let me know)?

I note that the stretch is a bit more then most of the CAT HEP conversions produced today.

-Kurt
  by Tadman

Really cool pics. I always find it interesting to see pictures of clean F40's. Any F40 moving in the last decade has typically been downright filthy.
  by Kurt-Trirail

early80sNECguy wrote:here is the rear view.....
Incidentally - are you sure that's #202 hooked up to the pooch? I can't make out the photo that well, but it would seem as if the F40 in that picture has a rear anticlimber.

-Kurt
  by early80sNECguy

I can confirm that it is indeed #202 and #705 together in that shot. The shots of #202 with the "pumpkin" are from a later date and at that time was no longer with the Pooch. I see what you are saying and I agree that it still has it's rear anticlimber in that shot. Sadly where the photos were printed did not date stamp them and my dad and I did not keep notes.

I want to say it was 1988-89 with the pooch and maybe 89-90 solo. You can confirm from the yard photo with the retired GG1 (4876) there getting drained of PCB's and the E60 with phase 3 stripes and as-built headlight configuration.
  by DutchRailnut

Kurt-Trirail wrote:
early80sNECguy wrote:here is the rear view.....
Incidentally - are you sure that's #202 hooked up to the pooch? I can't make out the photo that well, but it would seem as if the F40 in that picture has a rear anticlimber.

-Kurt

You see ladders instead of steps, the platform is not anticlimber ,the platform extension over coupler is the anticlimber(abcent from this unit), but this unit does not have steps or rear platform.
  by Kurt-Trirail

early80sNECguy wrote:I can confirm that it is indeed #202 and #705 together in that shot. The shots of #202 with the "pumpkin" are from a later date and at that time was no longer with the Pooch.
I understand - the Pooch photos pre-date #202's rebuild. I was under the (wrong) impression that those photos were taken the same day.
early80sNECguy wrote:I want to say it was 1988-89 with the pooch and maybe 89-90 solo. You can confirm from the yard photo with the retired GG1 (4876) there getting drained of PCB's and the E60 with phase 3 stripes and as-built headlight configuration.
I didn't even see the GG-1 until you made note of it; the photos are of such a small size (319x213) that I can hardly make out anything that isn't in the foreground.

-Kurt