Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by jlaroccoii

I was re-reading one of the Monon books and it had said that the Monon had rights to use the CSS&SB into Chicago, which they acquired during their failed attempt to take over control. Does anyone remember actually seeing any Monon equip,ent on the line?
  by dinwitty

The freight terminal on the South Water area, thats where the Chicago terminal is, the NKP had rights on the IC freight line and the terminal had multi-railroad services there. Could be possible, I'll look that over. I will be modeling that for my layout, albeiit a lot of selective compression.
  by dinwitty

Monon had an interchange at Burnham yard possibly the best connection point, if they ran the line, it would have been only short distance to Kensington.
Probably one reason the South Shore had doubleslips at the junction for the freight line as well. Michigan Central (NYC) C&O also had terminal connections at South Water. Busy spot.
  by dinwitty

Monon had passenger and freight servicing at the Dearborn station, and had pretty much its own route into chicago, at Burnham it was bunched together with it the South Shore and NKP paralleling each other. Monon was interested in the South Shore with some 20% stock interest, but CSS objected to seating a Monon board director on its board.

http://books.google.com/books?id=NgjENF ... re&f=false

At this time I have never heard/seen any Monon equipment running on the South Shore but there is definately interchange service.
  by jlaroccoii

Thats what I was wondering, dinwitty. It says, in the "Monon Route" book by George Hinton on page 259, that the MONON gained trackage rights from the ICC. But it also said, "that it ran only one train on the line to demostrate its rights" via Michigan City to Chicago. I have yet to find anyone who remembers this. It must have been something no one would have taken notice of. It just seems weird to me.
  by CHTT

So, when was this exactly? If it's something that happened in the 1930's, that's over 70 years ago and anybody who saw or heard about that one run is probably gone or has forgotten about it.
  by jlaroccoii

It had to be in the late 60's. The C&O gained control of the CSS&SB and I believe the MONON gave up its intrests for trackage rights. I'm not sure about the last part. But I know it was just before C&O took over.
  by dinwitty

only one train, that will be long forgotten.

Wonder if they still have residual rights via the L&N

Now I have an excuse to run a Monon BL-2 on my CSS layout :weird:
  by jlaroccoii

Yeah i know. I had planned to do a what if "Monon took over the CSS&SB". I modeled the Monon for about ten years and since they were here in town with my hometown road, I figured why not? The only reason was becuase it had some historical merit according to that "Monon Route" book.

Just one train though. Seems like a waste of trackage rights to me. According to the book their trackage rights ended when their independence did.