Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by MACTRAXX

Everyone: I was thinking about how CTA would like to acquire high-capacity cars with "bowling alley" type seats to be used at busy times and I remembered that PATH - which is now beginning to deploy their new PA-5 cars which I believe would replace
the entire current fleet - may make the late 80s era 800 series Kawasaki fleet available eventually.

These cars-with similar dimensions to the CTA fleet-could allow the CTA to provide the high-capacity cars for busy lines for a fraction of the price of new cars. They would need perhaps a minimum of modification-like an optional full-width cab.
They could allow the CTA to retire the 1970 vintage 2200 series cars with their non-ADA compliant "blinker" doors.
Does the CTA plan on replacing the mid-70s vintage 2400 Series Boeing cars anytime soon?

This would give the PATH Kawasaki cars a new lease on life operating on the CTA and would be a much better idea then
scrapping them since they probably have 15-20 years of life left.

Any thoughts from anyone in the know concerning the CTA? I welcome all ideas and comments and I thank all in advance-
MACTRAXX
  by Chicagopcclcars

I'll give you one.......THEY HAVE AIR BRAKES. The CTA has not used air brakes in revenue service since the 70's. Except for the Holiday Train, LOL.

David Harrison
  by Fan Railer

CTA cars are 48 ft while PATH cars are 51 ft long.
PATH cars are also too wide for the CTA system, so that negates the interoperability proposal.
the PA-4's will probably be saved for Work service, seeing as they won't be compatable to the CBTC system that is going to be installed to increase service along with the option order of PA-5's.

plus, the CTA is getting the 5000 series soon, so why add old cars to the roster to replace older cars when you are already getting new cars to replace those old cars?
  by Passenger

There is nothing wrong with the existing CTA cars that can't be fixed by putting more handholds between the doors. Not unlike what the busses already have.
  by MACTRAXX

Everyone - Thanks for the replies!
- First: I should have looked at CTA car diagrams at www.chicago-l.org/ and then sized them up with the PA-4 specifications.
- Second: Will the PA-4 cars being only three feet longer make a big difference with the tight curves (90 degrees and a little more) in Chicago's Loop?
- Third: I remember that the new 5000 series cars are forthcoming - I also recall that CTA was reluctant to procure cars with
the forementioned "bowling alley" seats for high capacity in rush hours and other busy times?
- Forth: The Kawasaki cars having air brakes now would be a problem possibly - each CTA car type is compatible with one another if need be. The PA-4s probably would not be compatible with the CTA's other fleet.
- Fifth: The reason I brought up this idea was first being the potential availability of the cars and CTA's reluctance to order new cars
with low seating capacity - a fleet of perhaps 80 or so of these PA-4 cars could have given the CTA that capacity at a lower cost as compared to brand-new cars.
MACTRAXX
  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: After looking at some PA-4 specifications I noticed the weight of those cars - 69,000 pounds each.
Are they too heavy for some of CTA's L structures?
I noticed the width mentioned - 9'4" compared to 8'8" for all CTA cars - that 9'4" is at the CTA car's window line
meaning they indeed are too wide for the CTA clearances if 9'4" is the width at the floor level of the PA-4 cars.
MACTRAXX