Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by F40CFan

102 was backing a train into CUS on track 13 last evening around 4:20. It was solo. It seems they broke it in the same way that they did 611 and 614. The new paint is sure shiny, too bad its the carrot-top look.
  by byte

I would swear that's not the first time I've seen a Metra roof painted that way (with the black). Maybe Metra's own repaints are being done like that and they just told Progress Rail to do the same.
  by bones

The 400's were done that way.
  by SlowFreight

What did they do to the pilot???? That's an Amtrak-style pilot and plow arrangement!
  by bones

The plow is not as big as those on Amtrak and MBTA units.
  by Metra416

The roofs of the 200's are painted black in that same style.
  by SlowFreight

bones wrote:The plow is not as big as those on Amtrak and MBTA units.
OK, but why did the perfectly useable pilot that EMD gave every other NIRC F40-series variant get replaced with anything different at all? I couldn't imagine such a change being made without a good reason.
  by CNW5022-A519

I have seen the picture and think it is anti skid surface, the same that is on the noses of theF40s and F40c for safe walkway on the engines, some aircraft also use the same surface on the wing next to the cockpit most training aircaft. Some of the Zekes in Baa Baa Black SHeep Squadron have the same surface The Zeke with the Red wingtips has it and most aircraft have it. It does look inteesting.
  by metraRI

The logo looks quite lower on 100 than it is on 102. From other pictures of 100, it looks like the area surrounding the headlight has been painted blue, like on other Metra rebuilds, as well as the M's.
  by c604.

I sure hope that the low off center placement of the Metra logo was a mistake.....

It also looks like the gyralight is back to normal with this one with the white on top.
  by Metraf40cfan

102 was seen on the MILW-W line tonight. 611 on MILW-N this evening.
  by Kurt-Trirail

metraupwest wrote:Latest photo of 100 on its return trip. Boy that cab door window is REALLY tiny. Anybody know why so small?
There's more to that then meets the eye (though I can't answer it myself). The door is taller then it was pre-rebuild, but the top edge sits at the same spot. Compare it with this:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=782077

I'm willing to bet that the rebuilt units have a significantly (5" or more) lower cab floor.

-Kurt
  by metraRI

To my unexpected surpise on my way downtown this morning, 100 was sitting in IAIS's half of Blue Island yard. Of course on the way back when I had planned to snap a picture... it had moved behind some trees, go figure.
metx_100.jpg
I don't know where 100 will end up, I'm going to try to find it again. 111 is said to be ready to be sent back as well.