• GP-40 towing ALP-44 with a line of Arrow III's

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by styckx

I've seen plenty of equipment moves, but none quite like this one. Rather odd. Is this a really an equipment move or something else? Excuse the bad focus. I didn't have the SLR even prepped yet and just hastily snapped this one.

Alp-44 is engine #4423

Video of the pass. It's the first clip after the intro so you don't have to sit and wait :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHKBb7mmPjE
  by ScottTheNiceGuy

Well, I think 4423 running the ACES train last weekend. Usually she stays on the NJCL....guess not this week.
  by ScottTheNiceGuy

gravelyfan wrote:4300-4423 were the Hudson Protect set today.
I thought they didn't use non-HEP locos for a protect.
  by sixty-six

ScottTheNiceGuy wrote:
gravelyfan wrote:4300-4423 were the Hudson Protect set today.
I thought they didn't use non-HEP locos for a protect.
They do.
  by Jtgshu

A few weeks ago, the 4300 was powering a dead 46 and 12 MUs up the NEC during early Morning Rush! (Like 615am through Trenton) I guess they really needed that stuff out of the way that day!

I bet they got good railroad though - sometimes its just easier (and much quicker) to get those kind of trains out of the way.

A train like that, with a dead ALP and 12 MUs is VERY heavy. Each MU is about 150,000lbs, while the ALP is about 200,000lbs. While a Geep in freght service, with freight gearing, wouldn't have any trouble with it, with the passenger geared Geeps, they aren't happy and are in notch 8 for most of the trip, and its hard to get up to 80mph and takes a long time....
  by ns3010

Hmm, a very interesting consist!

I thought that the MUs had a different coupler, so they weren't compatible with standard push-pull equipment. Or is there some kind of adapter coupler that they use for moves like this?
  by sixty-six

ns3010 wrote:Hmm, a very interesting consist!

I thought that the MUs had a different coupler, so they weren't compatible with standard push-pull equipment. Or is there some kind of adapter coupler that they use for moves like this?
Theres an adapter, called a compromise coupler.
  by Tri-State Tom

jim -
But I thought there was a speed restriction ( 40mph ? ) when that adapter coupler is in use, no ?

Appears that train was haulin' at 75-80mph + or more.
  by sixty-six

Tri-State Tom wrote:jim -
But I thought there was a speed restriction ( 40mph ? ) when that adapter coupler is in use, no ?

Appears that train was haulin' at 75-80mph + or more.
Not saying there isnt, but theres no restriction to my knowledge besides the 80mph MAS on the Arrows.
  by JamesRR

Saw this at about 6:55 pm last night around Newark. Couldn't believe I counted 12 m.u.'s , but there they were.
  by cruiser939

styckx wrote:I've seen plenty of equipment moves, but none quite like this one. Rather odd. Is this a really an equipment move or something else?
You caught us, this isn't really an equipment move. This is a test train meant to see how many rail buffs NJT could lure to the ROW. Those idiots weren't supposed to be running this during the daylight hours yet. Someone is probably going to get fired over this one. :P