Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by Gilbert B Norman

First, allow me to note I made a reasonable search to determine if this subject is being discussed at another topic, and did not find such.

It appears that several of the BNSF railroad owned 1973-74 vintage #8XX cab cars have been deactivated. Their Engineer and Fireman windows have been blanked over and I would presume the controls removed.

With the new Nippon Sharyo 84XX cabs now on the property, there was definitely a "surplus" of cabs. Why have a car subject to the more stringent maintenance and inspection protocols attributable to a locomotive if there is no intent of using the equipment as such.

The move makes good sense.
  by MetraBNSF

All of the former CB&Q cab cars in the 800 series have been decommissioned. I've read on here that when the #8200 series cab cars were decommissioned the doors to the cab are bolted shut and there's a sign on the door that says "non-controlling cab". The engineer and fireman windows are blanked out. The same can be said with the 800 series. The 800 series cars have also been rehabbed with the blue seats, new interiors, and the entire front of the car has been rehabbed with red/white sticker markings removed and front windows removed.

BNSF has cab cars 8578-8608 assigned, although its not unusual to see an 8400 or two and an 8500 will make its way onto SWS on occasion.
  by metraRI

MetraBNSF wrote:BNSF has cab cars 8578-8608 assigned, although its not unusual to see an 8400 or two and an 8500 will make its way onto SWS on occasion.
8500's have been making runs on SWS quite frequently lately... 3 of 5 trains had an 8500 leading last week. Its nice to have decent horns once in a while :wink:
  by bones

It's nice to have decent refridgerator's too! :-D
  by MetraBNSF

metraRI wrote:8500's have been making runs on SWS quite frequently lately... 3 of 5 trains had an 8500 leading last week. Its nice to have decent horns once in a while :wink:
For a while cab cars 8604 and 8608 had really bad horns. Both have since been replaced. IMO, 8585 has a very good horn.
  by MetraBNSF

metraRI wrote:8500's have been making runs on SWS quite frequently lately... 3 of 5 trains had an 8500 leading last week. Its nice to have decent horns once in a while :wink:
As of 8/26/09 BNSF has 8473 and 8475. 8473 has been on BNSF for a while now. 8475 is on an 11 car set, positioned 7 cars back. This may explain why 8500's are on SWS.