Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by dinwitty

I thought I would post this here, since its thematically related...we know what a certain russian locomotive didnt make it over there...

http://www.pressreleasepoint.com/locomo ... ure-sinara
Locomotives for Russian Railways: Siemens to set up joint venture with Sinara
Posted May 28th, 2009 by Siemens

Erlangen, Germany, 2009-May-28

Siemens, Russian Railways RZD and OJSC Sinara Transport Machines, a Russian manufacturer of freight locomotives, today signed a Memorandum of Understanding for the manufacture and supply of modern electric locomotives. A joint venture between Siemens and Sinara is to build around 100 double locomotives a year for RZD.

At the "Strategic Partnership 1520" Forum in Sotschi, Hans-Joerg Grundmann, CEO of the Siemens Mobility Division, Vladimir Jakunin, President of RZD, and Dmitriy Pumpyanskiy, President of the Sinara Group, today agreed on the basic aspects of future cooperation. Under the agreement, around 100 electric double locomotives a year are to be manufactured for RZD, starting in 2010, in a jointly operated factory located near Yekaterinburg. Details of the agreement will be finalized in the next few weeks.

For Siemens, Russia is one of the most important and promising markets for the future. With 85,000 kilometers of track, 1.3 billion passengers a year and total annual freight of 1.3 billion metric tons, the railway market in Russia is by far the largest in Europe.

The planned manufacture and supply of modern electric locomotives under the joint venture to be set up by Siemens and Sinara is an important step towards expanding the strategic partnership between Siemens and RZD that initially started in the area of high-speed transportation. At the end of 2008, Siemens handed over the first high-speed train, the Sapsan (Velaro RUS), to RZD.

TheSiemens Industry Sector(Erlangen, Germany) is the worldwide leading supplier of production, transportation, building and lighting technologies. With integrated automation technologies as well as comprehensive industry-specific solutions, Siemens increases the productivity, efficiency and flexibility of its customers in the fields of industry and infrastructure. The Sector consists of six Divisions: Building Technologies, Drive Technologies, Industry Automation, Industry Solutions, Mobility and Osram. With around 222,000 employees worldwide Siemens Industry posted a profit of EUR3.86 billion with revenues totalling EUR38 billion in fiscal year 2008 (ended September 30).

TheMobility Division(Erlangen, Germany) is the internationally leading provider of transportation and logistics solutions. With its "Complete mobility" approach, the Division is focused on networking the various modes of transportation in order to ensure the efficient transport of people and goods. “Complete mobility” combines the company's competence in operations control systems for railways and traffic control systems for roadways together with solutions for airport logistics, postal automation, traction power supplies and rolling stock for mass transit, regional and mainline services, turnkey systems as well as forward-looking service concepts.
  by Tadman

It would be a safe bet that CSS Freight wouldn't take these locos if they couldn't make it to Russia. Beyond any political issues, CSS Freight runs to places like Proviso and Barr Yards and has trackage rights to Joliet over CN (Ithink unused, though). Also, don't forget the line to Kingsbury. CSS management is quite happy with their geeps and sunk good money into painting a few last year. I wouldn't look for any changes to happen.
  by dinwitty

Tadman wrote:It would be a safe bet that CSS Freight wouldn't take these locos if they couldn't make it to Russia. Beyond any political issues, CSS Freight runs to places like Proviso and Barr Yards and has trackage rights to Joliet over CN (Ithink unused, though). Also, don't forget the line to Kingsbury. CSS management is quite happy with their geeps and sunk good money into painting a few last year. I wouldn't look for any changes to happen.
I kinda knew that, note the BNSF interest in electrifying some lines, if the trends keep going like this however, what would the future do. The only way SSF to stretch out is to use diesel due to the rest of the world not having electric overhead wire propulsion. I couldnt say just electric because diesels are electric...
  by jlaroccoii

Are there any pics of these units yet?
  by dinwitty

this isnt the engines, I don't think pics of them exist yet, but thats a Siemens loco, perhaps a clue.
  by jlaroccoii

Needs some orange and maroon. Maybe I'll do a "what if" model. If I can find one.
  by espeefoamer

What would these engines be called? Little Alexes?
  by keyboardkat

If the BNSF ever electrified any portion, it would probably be an A.C. electrification at 25, 000 volts or 27,500, incompatible with South Shore's 1,500 volt d.c. system. Any locomotive operating on both lines would have to be able to operate on either type of current, which is actually not a tough assignment today.