Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by atsf sp

I will be traveling to Chicago this weekend and visiting Loyola college. I know the CTA Red line has a stop at Loyola college. But I am wondering, when coming back, does this line stop anywhere near the Water tower or what is the closest. How far of a walk is it? How much money would it cost to go from Lake to Loyola? How long of a ride is this? If there is a stop by the watertower, how much would the fare be on that? When does this line turn to an elevated line from the subway? Are there any points along it to see railroad action other than CTA? Are there any car shops/yards for CTA along the run from Lake to Loyola? What car types are used on the Red Line? Which side is the best side to sit on in the cars? I know these are a lot of questions but I want to utilize this amazing public transportation system rather than bearing the traffic of Chicago. So if anyone could answer some or all of my questions, it would be really appreciated. Thanks.
  by ChiTransitFan

As a Loyola Alum I'll chime in. Its been a while since I was an active rider/student/resident of the Red Line but I'll give it a go...

When taking the Red line south to the Water Tower/Loyola's Water Tower campus/North Michigan Ave., get off at Chicago/State subway station. Michigan Ave. is three short blocks to the east following Chicago Ave. Loyola's Water Tower campus is right there at Pearson and Rush. Get off at Chicago, walk east to Rush and turn north. The actual Water Tower is there also at Michigan and Chicago.

The ride should take about 25 - 30 minutes and the current fare is $2.25. You can put $$$ on a transit card for multiple trips. There are vending machines in the stations...put in $10 for example and you get a card with $10 on it. Slide through turnstyle and away you go.

As for which side of car...what do you want to see? City? If so, side on the opposite side of the car when you enter...away from the Loyola platform. You'll have a good view of city life, Wrigley Field and the interchange at Clark where the Brown line meets up with the Red. I would recommend sitting on the side of the train that is against the platform. That way, you get city views, view of the tracks, trains going in the other direction and views of the stations.

As for sights...you'll be on a embankment/fill until Wilson. Wilson is an interesting station as it used to be the end of the line and a stop on the North Shore. Unfortunately the Wilson shop and yard burned down a few years back. From Wilson south it is four track elevated structure. Check out the nice views from the curve at Sheridan and see Wrigley Field at Addison. Once you pass Fullerton the tracks descend into the subway. Subway running is brief (about 5 - 7 minutes).

Since Wilson burnt down there aren't any shops to view along the way. However, a quick side trip would be to head north to Howard and view the action there. Its about a 5 - 10 minute ride north of Howard. There you can switch to a Purple Line to Evanston and even visit Northwestern University. The Purple Line runs through the Howard yard.

As for equipment, I would say mostly 2600's.

CTA Transit Fan
  by atsf sp

Wow thanks. I will make sure to follow your instructions.
  by ChiTransitFan

Just some more...

A picture of Loyola...

On the embankment...

Wilson...sorry for the pole!

Go Cubs!

Clark Junction...

Going into subway...
  by ravenswood

One quick addition to the very helpful information posted above:

The base fare is $2.25. Within 2 hours of the card being swiped, you get two transfers for twenty five cents. The first transfer costs 25 cents and the second one is free. So your trip could look like this. Enter at State/Lake on the red line where $2.25 is deducted from your card at 3:00 p.m. You get to the Loyola stop at 3:30 p.m. for a brief tour that lasts until just before 4 p.m. when you swipe your card and $.25 is deducted. You take the red line to Chicago and check out the water tower before entering back at Chicago at 4:59 p.m. and get your free transfer so you can go back down to Lake. You could do the entire trip for only $2.50. Of course that would mean very little time at any of your destinations but you could use the transfers to go check out other parts of the city as well.

Oops, I guess I have a second addition as well, the transit machines do not give change. Many a tourist leave the city with 17 dollars on cta cards.