Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by WelshPete

When I was over from the UK last year I checked in the police office at LaSelle St and was told it was fine to take pictures on Metra property with all the usual disclaimers (keep away from track, don't cause obstructions etc etc...) In a round about way he also said he would prefer me not to take pictures as I could be concieved to be acting in a suspicious manner and the police would be obliged to investigate any reports as such. In other words, taking pictures is fine but please don't as we have to investigate if anybody reports it. I took some pictures but nobody reported me (there again LaSelle St is pretty deserted on a Sunday morning). I've since taken pictures at a lot of Metra stations and never had any problems.
  by Tadman

Pete I can't believe you went to LaSalle on Sunday. That has to be the quietest part of town and the quietest station on a Sunday morning. Was there even a train in the terminal?
  by WelshPete

Yeah, there was a train there. A quirk of the hobby I think is common to UK enthusiasts in particular is we try to travel with as many loco's as possible, on this day 408 was out of La Selle and a requirment so I had a ride out on it. I've ridden with about 75 Metra loco's, still quite a few to go!!