Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by El_Kabong

Does anyone know the route the CSSSB took through South Bend before the station was moved to Bendix? Do maps exist anywhere?

by Tadman

I think it was Orange to Colfax to LaSalle street, and then across the river to the small yard at Hydraulic. However, if you walk by or check the google maps, the ROW appears to go down the NS another block to follow Washington street.

Did the freight service to places like NuWay Seed and Cummins wallpaper end when passenger service ended?

Look at this website - it's got lots of great South Bend Street Running photos, including many local freights with boxcars. Today, I don't know if there's any freight customers in South Bend.
http://www.monon.monon.org/rr/southshore.html

by CSS&SB702

The passenger trains used the Orange to Colfax to LaSalle route. The ROW (1970) along the then Penn Central tracks were for freight only. the busineses served were mainly around Circle Ave. NuWay was located on Orange and Olive Sts. I believe these lasted alittle longer, the tracks extended across LaPorte Ave. I can't remember exactly when all the freight tracks east of the Bendix station were pulled up, but if you get a chance to see the east side of the station platform, you can see how the corner of the platform was curved to allow the original passenger/freight tracks to clear.
  by transit man

Can someone provide the date when service to downtown South Bend was discontinued?
  by CSS&SB702

July 6, 1970. Last day of passenger service to downtown. :(