Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by fauxcelt

When I was born in 1959, we were living in Hyde Park on the south side of Chicago because my father wanted to live close to his job at the University of Chicago.
My earliest memory of the "L" is riding on Sixty-Third Street on a summer day in my father's car underneath the tracks sometime between 1960 and 1965. I especially remember the pattern of the shadows which were cast by the elevated structure on the street and the buildings alongside the street. I also remember how noisy the trains were as they ran by over our heads.
When I was seven, my father took me to a Cubs game at Wrigley Field one day. Since we had moved further south by this time, we had to ride the Jeffrey Avenue bus to the end of the "L" line at Sixty-Third Street. Then we rode the "L" into downtown. When we got to the Loop, I don't remember what station we got off at but I do remember that we walked down the stairs to the street and then we walked down more stairs into the subway. I remember complaining to my father that the subway was too noisy. I also remember being scared that the train might fall off when it went around one of the tight curves in the Loop. My father tried to reassure me by telling me that the trains weren't going to fall off the elevated structure (this was before the infamous accident in February 1977). I don't remember much of the rest of that trip except for the fact that I did have a good time at the game.
In 1969, when they finished extending the "L" tracks in the median of the Dan Ryan all of the way south to Ninety-Fifth Street, we would catch a bus on Ninety-Third Street to ride to the end of the line station at Ninety-Fifth.
One summer day in 1969 when I was riding with my mother on the Eisenhower Expressway, I noticed that the tracks in the median of the Expressway had a branch (the Douglas Park branch) that rose up and turned left to go south away from the Expressway. When I asked my mother about this branch, she said she didn't know much about it and wasn't sure where they went to.
However, when I asked my father about these branch tracks, he told me about the Douglas Park branch and offered to take me for a ride on this branch on Labor Day because he was off from work that day. By this time, both of my parents had noticed that I was interested in trains and they would indulge this interest when they could afford to. I think there must have been a White Sox game that day because the train on the Dan Ryan was standing room only until it stopped at Thirty-Fifth Street. It seemed as if half of the people on the train got off at Thirty-Fifth Street.
  by GWoodle

I lived in the Chicago Lawn area for many years.
For my first train ride, we took the 63rd street bus east to Ashland. This was the end of the old Englewood A Green trains. I was surprised at the 59th street trestle over the Dan Ryan. Don't look down. The train went into the subway, and we got off at the Marshall Field store. It was one of the few stores that had a Marklin display of HO & Z trains.

For White Sox games, we could catch a Kedzie bus that had some of the last electric trolley type bus . We rode the 35th street bus east to the old Comiskey. We could ride the old El up to Addison. The Cubs were a bad team then & you could walk up & get tickets.

As the Englewood area changed, we would ride the Archer Avenue bus. It would run express about every 10 minutes. Archer has the longest run of any bus route. Into the 1970's & 1980's it was the busiest. Eventually some of the Archer runs would use the Stevenson expressway from Pulaski to Cermak/Clark, where it would go back to State Street. I remember all the changes the city tried to make Sate Street downtown a better busway with no cars.

It was a joy when the Orange Line to Midway was built and replaced a lot of the Archer Express & Stevenson Expressway buses. My employment led me to work here in Nashville.
It was a lot of fun when the Music City Star began operations here with a collection of old C&NW gallery cars with a pair of Ex-Amtrak F40's to pull them.

The most fun I ever had was on a IRM trip that ran several lines from O'Hare to 95th to several other places with photo stops in the Loop.
  by MACTRAXX

FX and GW: You may want to look at and post at this site: www.chicago-l.org/ This is one of the best sites around for the CTA
-it has a good Memories section with many posts in it-including one from me. I have many CTA memories myself-
My uncle was a CTA motorman from 1958-1986 and I learned alot about the CTA from visiting Chicago back between 1973-1988
and using the CTA to travel around Chicago being interested in rail transport as I am. Thoughts from MACTRAXX
  by fauxcelt

Thank you for sharing your memories of the "L", GWoodle.
MACTRAXX, thank you for suggesting that I send these memories to chicago-l.org but I already did that in September of last year and my memories haven't appeared yet on that web site under the Memories section. Before I tried to send my memories of riding the "L" to chicago-l.org, I did contact the web master, Graham Garfield, first to ask whether or not I might send in my memories of riding the "L" to chicago-l.org. Graham Garfield said yes I was welcome to share my memories of riding the "L". Since he administers the web site in his spare time and works full time as an architect, my guess is that he has just been too busy to add my memories to chicago-l.org. I am not worried about it. If Garfield has lost the original message I sent him, I have saved it and can easily send it to him again if that is necessary. I put my memories on this web site because I would like to share it and post it somewhere. This seemed like the most appropriate place. If the webmaster decides this is the wrong place to share this type of memories, I won't object if he decides to remove it.