Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by train2

Can any of you folks provide a list of the new interlockings on the SS from one end to the other of the new CTC? I have an ETT but it predates the CTC. Also would be very helpful to know what is double and single track between what interlockings.

Would be nice to have when hearing it on the radio.

Many thanks,

Train2
  by jb9152

train2 wrote:Can any of you folks provide a list of the new interlockings on the SS from one end to the other of the new CTC? I have an ETT but it predates the CTC. Also would be very helpful to know what is double and single track between what interlockings.

Would be nice to have when hearing it on the radio.

Many thanks,

Train2
Sure thing. The new control points (some of which are also interlocked railroad crossings at grade) are named by their milepost, to the closest tenth of a mile.

From ETT #3, effective November 11, 2008 -

Working west to east from the connection with the Metra Electric District at Kensington (CP 75.3):

-----DOUBLE TRACK-----
CP 75.3 (Kensington Interlocking)
CP 73.8
CP 70.5 (Burnham Interlocking - CP brackets Hegewisch Station)
Hegewisch Station
CP 70.0
CP 69.2 (North State Line Interlocking)
CP 68.5 (CP brackets Hammond Station)
Hammond Station
CP 66.3 (CP brackets East Chicago Station)
East Chicago Station
CP 64.9 (AKA Parrish)
Gary/Chicago Airport Station
CP 61.5 (AKA Clark)
Gary Metro Station
CP 58.8
CP 58.1 (AKA Emerson)
-----SINGLE TRACK-----
CP 57.5 (Jay Interlocking)
Miller Station
CP 54.0
-----DOUBLE TRACK-----
CP 51.5 (AKA Pauls Crossover)
Portage/Ogden Dunes Station
CP 47.5
-----SINGLE TRACK-----
CP 46.5 (AKA Bailly West)
CP 43.7
-----DOUBLE TRACK-----
Dune Park Station
CP 43.0
-----SINGLE TRACK-----
Beverly Shores Station
CP 38.6
-----DOUBLE TRACK-----
CP 37.9
-----SINGLE TRACK-----
CP 36.0 (AKA Power West)
-----DOUBLE TRACK-----
CP 35.2 (AKA Power East)
-----SINGLE TRACK-----
CP 34.5 (10th Street Interlocking)
11th Street Station
CP 33.0 (EB signal only - begin Yard Limits eastbound)
CP 32.2 (WB signal only - begin CTC westbound)
Carroll Avenue (Shops) Station
Karwick Road (end Yard Limits, begin Track Warrant Control eastbound / end Track Warrant Control, begin Yard Limits westbound)
Davis (freight track)
Birchim (passing siding)
Hudson Lake Station
Olive (passing siding)
Grandview (freight track)
Airport Runaround Track (passing siding)
South Bend (end Track Warrant Control, begin Yard Limits)
South Bend Airport Station

Hope that's a help.
  by train2

Many thanks. That is what I was looking for.

When are RR's going to give up on milepost based CP's? NS is going back and naming a bunch of old Conrail CP's that were numbers only.

My complaint: Every line, for the most part, has milepost 25, 38, 75 etc........

Names are more unique and can often can be determined on a map.
  by jb9152

train2 wrote:Many thanks. That is what I was looking for.

When are RR's going to give up on milepost based CP's? NS is going back and naming a bunch of old Conrail CP's that were numbers only.

My complaint: Every line, for the most part, has milepost 25, 38, 75 etc........

I don't totally agree with that. You can also have duplicate names. Although, it could become a problem if the Westlake service ever gets up and running. In that case, we'd probably just rename the CPs with a prefix for the specific line - maybe S for CPs on the South Shore and L for CPs on the Lowell Line.
  by dinwitty

jb9152 wrote:

I don't totally agree with that. You can also have duplicate names. Although, it could become a problem if the Westlake service ever gets up and running. In that case, we'd probably just rename the CPs with a prefix for the specific line - maybe S for CPs on the South Shore and L for CPs on the Lowell Line.

It just won't end, don't it... 8-D

Since the SS is so linear it made sense, well, to the signaling committee
  by ExCon90

jb9152 wrote:

You could always try what Metro North did: As I recall, CPs on the Hudson Line use actual miles, those on the Harlem Line actual miles plus 100, and those on the New Haven Line actual miles plus 200. I don't know what they do on the branches to Danbury and Waterbury (I haven't seen en employee timetable), but they could continue the same system if they wanted to.
  by justalurker66

ExCon90 wrote:
jb9152 wrote:I don't totally agree with that. You can also have duplicate names. Although, it could become a problem if the Westlake service ever gets up and running. In that case, we'd probably just rename the CPs with a prefix for the specific line - maybe S for CPs on the South Shore and L for CPs on the Lowell Line.
You could always try what Metro North did: As I recall, CPs on the Hudson Line use actual miles, those on the Harlem Line actual miles plus 100, and those on the New Haven Line actual miles plus 200. I don't know what they do on the branches to Danbury and Waterbury (I haven't seen en employee timetable), but they could continue the same system if they wanted to.
I like that idea, although NICTD should only have to worry about renumbering the Hammond Monon line and the connector to Metra. Unless they spend a lot of money and add their own track all the way to Lowell and/or Valparaiso they would just use what the host railroad is using.

Hmmm ... I wonder what milepost the South Bend Airport will be at when the new platforms and approach is built. The old shared Amtrak station was at "2" IIRC with "0" being downtown. It came in handy to have those extra miles for the reroute (or is the airport platform really at negative something miles?).
  by justalurker66

jb9152 wrote:The new control points (some of which are also interlocked railroad crossings at grade) are named by their milepost, to the closest tenth of a mile.
Thanks for the list. I've had a chance to get out to look at the line over the past few weeks and have found all the CPs and intermediate signals (with some help from Bill Vandervoort's railfan website. The last time I looked at signals in detail the line was all ABS.

I have a quick comment relating to the Ogden Dunes station and Wilson-Wagner double track operations ---
I was surprised there isn't a control point at 50.5 east of Ogden Dunes to protect passengers when a train stops on Track 1 from trains passing westbound on Track 2 the closest CP to the east is at 47.5. It seems to me that would be a long way back to hold a train. Then I followed an evening train eastbound on Friday and noticed that it was routed eastbound on Track 2, which would allow a westbound train to pass safely on Track 1. Is this typical? If so, it is a really good idea.

BTW:116 and 107 are three minutes and 20 and 11 are five minutes apart in opposite directions at Ogden Dunes but the eastbound is the second train. Only a freight following the westbound would be a problem unless the eastbounds crossed at Pauls CP 51.5 and both trains used Track 2.

The new weekend schedule has 507 and 604 only one minute apart, 609 and 508 only two minutes apart and 513 and 512 only one minute apart - all with the eastbound scheduled first. 612 and 515 are both scheduled at 7:41pm. 516 and 517 are three minutes apart on the new weekend schedule with the westbound first. (I'm surprised that so many trains are so close at the same spot.)

The only other station with a cross track station stop is Clark Rd, but there is a CP very close if there was a eastbound on Track 1 unloading that needed protecting from traffic on Track 2.
  by jb9152

justalurker66 wrote:Thanks for the list. I've had a chance to get out to look at the line over the past few weeks and have found all the CPs and intermediate signals (with some help from Bill Vandervoort's railfan website. The last time I looked at signals in detail the line was all ABS.

I have a quick comment relating to the Ogden Dunes station and Wilson-Wagner double track operations ---
I was surprised there isn't a control point at 50.5 east of Ogden Dunes to protect passengers when a train stops on Track 1 from trains passing westbound on Track 2 the closest CP to the east is at 47.5. It seems to me that would be a long way back to hold a train. Then I followed an evening train eastbound on Friday and noticed that it was routed eastbound on Track 2, which would allow a westbound train to pass safely on Track 1. Is this typical? If so, it is a really good idea.
There is a special instruction in place that mandates that trains must hold out from stations where others are pulling in to do station work. The specifics of which train will be first to take the station are worked out via radio.
justalurker66 wrote:
BTW:116 and 107 are three minutes and 20 and 11 are five minutes apart in opposite directions at Ogden Dunes but the eastbound is the second train. Only a freight following the westbound would be a problem unless the eastbounds crossed at Pauls CP 51.5 and both trains used Track 2.

The new weekend schedule has 507 and 604 only one minute apart, 609 and 508 only two minutes apart and 513 and 512 only one minute apart - all with the eastbound scheduled first. 612 and 515 are both scheduled at 7:41pm. 516 and 517 are three minutes apart on the new weekend schedule with the westbound first. (I'm surprised that so many trains are so close at the same spot.)

The only other station with a cross track station stop is Clark Rd, but there is a CP very close if there was a eastbound on Track 1 unloading that needed protecting from traffic on Track 2.
There is enough time built into the schedule to allow trains to take the station one at a time.