Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by Rockingham Racer

Passenger wrote:
Rockingham Racer wrote: "Never drive while distracted."
Having children in the car is right out then. :wink:

Sure is, apparently. The answer to the dilemma: ban automobile usage in toto, and take public transit! :wink:
  by Darien Red Sox

Rockingham Racer wrote:I've had a driver's license in five states. IIRC, in the divers' manual of each, one of the first statements goes something like: "Never drive while distracted." I've also read that people driving while talking on cellphones are more impaired than those "under the affluence of incahol". I don't know if the latter statement has been proven or not, but it sounds logical to me based on my dealings with cellphone drivers who seem to have no clue as to what's going on around them.
As someone earlier stated--and I'm not a big one for new laws--there does need to be a law against this behavior while behind the wheel.

My $.02, and stepping off the soapbox.
Not only do the divers' manuals say this but the cell phone manuals also always say something about not using the phone and driving.
  by ohioriverrailway

Rockingham Racer wrote:
Passenger wrote:
Rockingham Racer wrote: "Never drive while distracted."
Having children in the car is right out then. :wink:

Sure is, apparently. The answer to the dilemma: ban automobile usage in toto, and take public transit! :wink:
There was a woman here in town about 3 months ago that rear-ended the car in front of her. It caused enough damage/confusion/injuries that it made the news. Why did she hit the car in front? She was looking in the rear view mirror at her kids in the back seat!