Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by MetraBNSF

Several times last week with increasing frequency I've seen afternoon rush hour Metra trains unload its passengers on the south platforms at stations from Downers Grove west. For years its been routine for Naperville train #1267 and sometimes to a lesser extent, #1283 to unload its passengers on the south platform so that locals #1253, #1261, and #1273 aren't interfered with, which already run a few minutes late on most occasions. But last week, Downers Grove train #1279 unloaded its passengers on the south platform on several occasions. Its also not unusual for trains #1269 and to a lesser more occasional extent, train #1259 to unload south. It was mentioned several years ago on an OTBL that if the opposite platform is available, it'll be used to help keep trains on schedule.
  by doepack

You know, this brings to mind something I've thought about periodically: If a center platform were to be built at Naperville & Route 59, would that help keep trains on schedule, and off the south platform during the afternoon rush? That way, 1257, 1267, 1277, & 1373 can stay on the center track all the way to Aurora, and would free track 1 for the other locals. Just a thought...
  by endofthelineaurora

doepack wrote:You know, this brings to mind something I've thought about periodically: If a center platform were to be built at Naperville & Route 59, would that help keep trains on schedule, and off the south platform during the afternoon rush?
Funny you should mention that. Their used to be a center platform at Naperville many years ago. It was taken out obviously, I don't know whether it was a safety concern because their wasn't a tunnel or what the deal was.
  by MetraBNSF

There were also center platforms at Belmont and Lisle many years ago too, evidenced by the wide gaps between tracks 2 and 3 with intertrack fencing at those two stations. I'm sure the gap at Belmont will be narrowed with the underpass project.

Once eastbound #1288 clears Fairview, that opens the window for westbounds to cross over from 2-3 if needed. In most instances these Downers Grove expresses will return to the center track after Lisle for its run into Aurora.

Here's BNSF train #1279 coming into Belmont on track 3 last Friday:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNmFuu-0pck

Here's another video (filmed by somebody else) of BNSF trains #1261 and #1267 simultaneously arriving in Naperville:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TfV4i6_4-E
  by MetraBNSF

For a moment this evening (5/7/09) I thought I was railfanning the UP-W line. After remembering after all that I was in Downers Grove.

This evening's BNSF commuter rush was plagued with delays. There was emergency track work going on between Berwyn and Congress Park which resulted in all trains running 10-20 minutes behind schedule on average. And train #1257 had problems with its power (METX199) at some point during its run. While at Belmont Rd for a good portion of the afternoon rush track 1 was signalled for eastbound movements and tracks 2 and 3 were signalled for westbound movements. At one point outbound train #1259 (on track 3) and inbound train #1288 (on track 1) met at Belmont. The conductor of #1288 stepped off his train to make sure no other rail traffic was coming since the gates were still down at Belmont Rd and alerted those waiting for the eastbound to cross over to the north side of the tracks. The conductors of #1259 and #1288 were communicating via radio to get those that were expecting #1288 on the south platform to walk across the tracks to board. Late in the rush a twin stack intermodal came up the center track, forcing outbound train #1277 onto track 1 at Fairview.

Eastbound #1288 arriving Belmont on the north platform. Notice the commuters on the south platform that are anticipating this train.

Left: Westbound #1259 arriving for its station stop. Right: Eastbound #1288 stopped

Left: Westbound #1259 discharging its passengers. Right: Eastbound #1288 loading its passengers. Just before this pic was shot the conductor stood in the middle of the frame watching for other rail traffic and allowing those commuters expecting #1288 to arrive on the south platform to cross the tracks and board the eastbound train.

Westbound #1267 about to glide under the signals west of Belmont. Signal aspects from left to right: Approach medium/approach medium/restricting.
  by doepack

That's a pretty strange decision by Ft. Worth to go left-handed during rush, it seems like that only exacerbated the delays; which track was OOS? Nice pics, thanks for sharing...
  by bn9900

Wanting to be a dispatcher and starting to learn a bit about how dispatchers would think in these situations. With the construction between Brookfield and Congress park, the next chance to cross over would be in Hinsdale (Highlands) Then there were issues farther up the line. They may not be able to cross over. I can imagine the termoil that those dispatchers were going through, Hopefully they are back to normal.