Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by Tadman

It seems CP Morgan is just west of the Clinton crossing somewhere, but can someone shed some light on the exact location, safeness of the area, and railfan friendliness?

per this pic: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 05&nseq=82

it seems to be popular, and I'd like to visit one of these days.

Thanks.
  by doepack

The signal bridge in the picture is at the west end of the CP Morgan plant, and was likely taken between May St. and Racine Ave, which is about 3/4 of a mile west of the crossing at Clinton St. I'm not sure exactly how much dispatchers actually use that control point, it seems most of the routing is done either at Lake St. or A2. As for the general vicinity, it's very industrial with a lot of truck traffic, but getting here is pretty easy, just take Lake St. or Kinzie St. west from downtown. I would agree with Don's description in the photo of the area being a popular, railfan-friendly location...
  by EricL

The area is definitely safe in the daytime. The plant is controlled by the A-2 operator. You're right that the crossovers are rarely used. Last time I went through one was to get around some last-minute MoW work.

East end of the plant is right at the Green St. road crossing and the westbound/outbound signals are the old searchlight style.
  by doepack

EricL wrote:The area is definitely safe in the daytime. The plant is controlled by the A-2 operator. You're right that the crossovers are rarely used. Last time I went through one was to get around some last-minute MoW work.
Eric, are the crossovers still good for only 10mph, or have they been upgraded?
  by EricL

10 mph