Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by justalurker66

byte wrote:Metra's units don't have bathrooms. If an engineer has to use one, they can go back to one of the cars.
Except on the Metra Electric ... where only the newest cars have facilities.
  by mrconductor55

How about delivery, I remember we were supposed to get an F40 back last month......Also what is the difference between an F40PH and an F40PHR. These amtrak units are of the PHR variety.
  by c604.

If I remember right, the F40PHR designation meant that they were originally built using parts from the scrapped SDP40F's. Other than that they were the same as F40's using brand new parts.

It would be interesting to see the difference in the "before" condtion between the Metra units and the Amtrak units once they are disassembled. The Metra units lead somewhat easier lives resting nights, parts of the day, and parts of weekends, whereas the Amtrak units had the you know what beaten out of them quite a bit more. Heh I wonder if we can send Mike Rowe down there for a sequal to the MPI show he did ;-)
  by AMTK84

Thanks to Mark R KYRailfan666 from the Metra YahooGroup for this information. 102 is at the paint shop at Progress Rail; all testing is completed. Once it is repainted it will be heading home.
  by AMTK84

As long as that is the only similarity the unit has to an MP36. ;-)
  by F40c611fan

Any idea how long it will take before 102's back in Metra territory?
  by AMTK84

No idea as of yet.
  by AMTK84

102 is believed to be done and repainted; it should e heading up the PAL Railway next week and then on to Chicago, presumably via the CSX.
  by doepack

If it's going via the PAL (Paducah & Louisville Railroad) to interchange with CSX, then it's likely to eventually wind up on the joint UP/CSX owned Villa Grove Sub (ex-C&EI). Around 76th St., the line curves due west heading toward Clearing, but it'll hit Metra's SWS (ex-C&WI) line at that point on its final leg into Chicago. OF course, there could be another route used, but that's the most direct one...
  by AMTK84

My guess is that it will come back via the same route all of them have gone down on so far.My guess is that it will leave the
  by metraRI

There have been pictures of 110 at Barr Yard in Riverdale? before starting the journey over the border to Kentucky... so it could very well be interchanged in Blue Island on RI.