Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by zmuzak

Hi All,

I remember about 10 years ago seeing a Steam Engine going down what is now the NCS Metra line. I later heard it was an excursion train of some kind.

Is there a site or forum here where a future sighting like this is posted ahead of time so people can arive early to see it?

The same goes for that mostly all glass Board ot Directors UPS car that I sometimes see at Oligive station.

Thanks.
  by Tadman

MILW 261 comes through occasionally, CP seems to be friendly to hosting steamers. Also, the UP steamers are seen occasionally on former CNW property. I think this forum is one of the best places to look for a notice regarding Chicago-area steam. It's kind of OT, but salient to us Chicago people.

Also, the websites for UP Steam and MILW 261 both have a updated schedule.
  by metraRI

261 had run on the then Wisconsin Central back before NCS was in the picture. I remember seeing 261 at the same location that is now the Prairie View station.

The only steam locomotive that I know of coming to Chicago this year is SP 4449, which is a nice treat.
  by Milwaukee_F40C

Also before CN was in the picture. I get the feeling they're probably not cool with running excursions.
  by doepack

Milwaukee_F40C wrote:Also before CN was in the picture. I get the feeling they're probably not cool with running excursions.
You know, that's the vibe I get too. Yeah, other than the annual Santa Trains, that's pretty much it (and I don't know if even those can be technically called "excursions"). Otherwise, Metra shies away from organizing anything official, and is instead content to just offer the $5 weekend pass, while letting the railfans figure out the rest for themselves. Then again, there's always the IRM or Fox Valley...
  by byte

CERA ran at least one trip on the MED back in the early 90s, and I know the local NRHS chapter chartered a train on the SWS to Manhattan in the mid 90s (yes, before there was a station there). There was also that last trip with the BN E-units, featuring a tripleheaded set if them, although that may have been moreso BN's doing than Metra's. Can't say I remember any sort of excursion lately, although I suspect that CERA will at least attempt another trip on the MED when the last of the old Highliners are on the chopping block.
  by Engineer Spike

In the mid 1990s I rode an excursion behind UP 844. We boarded at Elmhurst, and rode to Clinton, IA. 844 went on from there, but the passengers deadheaded back on Metra commuter equipment.
Milwaukee 261 was used on some employee specials on BNSF too.