Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by Kangaroo_of_72

Hi --

Can anyone recommend a favorite location for taking overhead photos? I'm not talking immediately overhead, like Roosevelt Road or Winnetka / Hubbard Woods, nor do I mean somewhere like the Sears Tower observation deck, but maybe something like 4 or 5 stories up, like a parking deck? Ideally, this area would have high rail traffic.

Reason being, I'm making some 3D computer models and need to get shots of the top of locos and cars, and would like them to be as "square" and straight-down as possible. I'm especially interested in F40PHs, but I'd consider all lines.

Is that a parking deck right over the south leads to CUS, and another on the west side? Can people mill around there without looking suspicious?

And how about both freight and commuter traffic? I've seen some shots online that look like they were taken from a parking deck near the O'Hare Transfer station, but the angle was still a bit from the side.

Thanks!
  by byte

Oak Lawn's parking garage on the SouthWest sounds like it would work. It's about four stories tall. Not much of a comparison as far as traffic on most other lines (BNSF, UP-W, etc) but every train will have an F40PH and you'll be able to see the newer bilevels as well as the older CB&Q type.
  by doepack

The Illinois Prairie Path bridge over the UP/W tracks in Wheaton would be a pretty good spot too, and should provide the photo angles you're looking for. Originally used by the CA&E as its single track branch to Elgin, the bridge crosses the tracks from about 50' high, and is about a 1/4 mile west of the Metra depot, with plenty of action of course. Similar to byte's response, I also guarantee that every single Metra train will be powered by an F40PH...
  by buddah

Id recommend the 127 st. overpass in Blue Island always a favorite of mine as the bridge is pretty high up and is right off the Metra yard (Prairie station) and a small freight junction so you get both passenger and freight traffic.

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&F ... &encType=1
  by F40CFan

The bike path bridge (former North Shore Line) at Rondout would also be good. The Fox Lake branch diverges north of the bridge. There is freight, Metra and Amtrak action.

The Mannheim Rd. bridge in Franklin Park covers both the MILW-West commuter line and the freight line leads to Bensenville yard. Lots of movements there.