Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by Passenger

OK, so they eliminated the station but left some platform quite a while ago.

More recently there is something built there that looks like a permanent structure of some kind, but not a station.

What is it?
  by Chicagopcclcars

Buildings housing signaling and interlocking controls are sitting on the former Randolph station platforms.

Looking north to Tower 18 on Wells Street.

David Harrison
  by Passenger

There's more than that now.

Something much larger on the west side where your picture shows nothing but where a platform might have been.
  by Passenger

Let's see if I can describe it better.

First of all, it's on the west platform, and there is definitely a complete platform.

Though I can't vouch for the length of the platform on the south end, there are no visible uncovered beams like in the photograph.

There is a shed of shiny sheet metal that almost completely covers the platform. It looks tall enough easily to walk around in.

I can't tell for sure, but it looks like it might have windows.
  by Chicagopcclcars

Yes,that is an older picture but the new construction was under way back then. You can see the supports for a new platform on the west side. But still, the buildings are used for what I said...there's no change. New signaling and interlocking controls are being installed all over the Loop "L" along with the new trackwork. For a comparison of size, look at the buildings along and over the median "L" tracks on the Ryan, Eisenhower, and Kennedy expressways. Those expressway buildings also house interlocking and signal controls.

David Harrison
  by Passenger

Does that mean the actual Tower 18 tower is going away?
  by Chicagopcclcars

Tower 18 will remain the same, will look the same. Only its "inards" are being changed.

David Harrison