• Verizon 3g coverage on Amtrak

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by nomis

Speed tests from Trenton to Philly. Out of 15 tests; speeds were on avg 1520Kb Down / 495 Kb up ... using the Verizon UM175 USB modem,

I have had similar throughput from both Trenton to NYP & Philly to DC.
  by theozno

There are two dead spots near stamford CT. going past Old Greenwich there is a dead spot. those two towers in old Greenwich train station are GSM. however, whatever the brand CDMA (verizon) and GSM there is also a dead spot just east of stamford in the Darien area. I always try to listen to internet streams and these areas is very crummy. if you are ever in old greenwich Both CDMA and GSM die as you head towards long island sound. I get nothing but 0 to 2 bars of 5 at my house and Dropped calls. According to google maps I am getting a tower from oyster Bay NY, Cos Cob sub station, a church in riverside and the big church in central greenwich Because they all fight each other I try to talk to someone but it will drop after 1 min or so. the next tower is off a hotel at exit 6.

I really like my BB storm :-)
  by theozno

gprimr1 wrote:Yeah 1xRTT is the older network where you can't get 3G/EVDO. There are very few places left I think were you can get cellular service but not data service. You'd have to go far into the boon docks.
Old Greenwich CT. you can't get SH** for CDMA as for the NYC tunnels, there is Great cell service in them
  by kitn1mcc

actually it is cdma is just for voice now date is EVDO
  by hi55us

I'm on #2151 in Old Saybrook right now the new blackberry curve that I'm tethering with is doing great I've had great coverage the whole ride. Thanks for the input guys.
  by Jersey Jeff

On a side note, David Pogue is really hot for the Novatel MiFi 2200, which turns your laptop into a Wi-Fi hotspot on a train that can be shared with up to 5 users. It uses Verizon's 3G network.
  by Ken W2KB

Penn Central wrote:I took the SW Chief from LAX to ABQ a few weeks ago and had no trouble getting Verizon mobile email and wireless web on most of the route despite going through some remote areas.
Much of this route, and many others, are in the vicinity of generally parallel Interstate highways, so the cell coverage for the latter which for most providers is very good, often extends to the rail line.
  by fredct

Jersey Jeff wrote:On a side note, David Pogue is really hot for the Novatel MiFi 2200, which turns your laptop into a Wi-Fi hotspot on a train that can be shared with up to 5 users. It uses Verizon's 3G network.
Its a neat idea, but the service is pretty steep for limited usage, plus the cost of the device. Only viable for heavy business travelers, but its a real cool concept.
  by Steve F45

When I took the Silver star form Newark,NJ to Tampa and back. I had great service/coverage on my Verizon broadband card for the pc slot. It wasn't till I was in florida that I had problems with service.