Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by Chicagopcclcars

I imagine it's because of the freight operation, but what exactly are the reasons??

David Harrison
  by byte

I've always heard it's there so that a wide-load freight load can be shipped through the station. If the station used low-level boarding it would probably not be an issue.
  by jb9152

Chicagopcclcars wrote:I imagine it's because of the freight operation, but what exactly are the reasons??

David Harrison
That's exactly right. It's due to the presence of SouthShore Freight. All freight trains, plus express passenger trains, are routed on the main track (which is a higher speed straight move but places cars further away from the platform so there's no danger of wide freight cars striking it). Stopping passenger trains are routed to the gauntlet track, which puts the doors right next to the platform. Hammond and East Chicago Stations have the same arrangement.
  by dinwitty

The old Gary depot was exactly the same way. Think of the South Shore cars the same width of standard passenger cars. The old orange cars were built by Pullman, the same maker making Pullman passenger cars. They and the new cars should have the same similar width dimensions.