Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by dinwitty

Just heard about it, about a driver in a truck smacking a pole bringing down wires.
The driver ran off. Hope they get the guy. Good job with South Shore Dieseling cars around the accident, thats a trick, not impossible. Burnham yard used to have wire all over it it woulda been an easy runaround. But power woulda been likely shut off.
Unless you could have localized the affected trackage.
Probably another great Smack up repair by the crews to get it going like the 10 mile ripped trackage a while back.
  by jlaroccoii

You know, it amazes me a the problems they have had lately. Wasen't it a couple of months ago a kid hit the side of an west bound in Hudson Lake, Indiana? Not to mention the miles of jacked up track because of some coal cars going to NIPSCO. Its not like a train can stop or move out of the way. But, I'm sure someone will find a way to blame the South Shore for the interuption in service because of some bonehead. They guys on the line will get it moving again quickly. Just makes me wonder whats next.
  by JLJ061

I just happened to be on Train 116 to Hammond, the last train through the area before the accident happened. I happened to be at State Line Crossing when I heard of the accident. I walked along to the IHB diamonds when lo and behold, I could see the cross beam down a couple hundred yards away, meaning this was going to be a loooooong afternoon!

NICTD Locomotive 1000 finally came through a couple hours later to couple onto Train 11, the first eastbound to get past the outage.

Not the best picture, but you can see how bad it looked.
  by buddah

wow I always said I loved the fact that along S Brainard Ave. you can chase the SS Line at a good rate of speed as well. I thought of doing it for a you tube clip. But it always surprised me that they never put up a guard rail between the tracks and the street at least along that stretch especially since it sees a lot of truck traffic. At times Ive followed a few trucks on that stretch doing 50 mph after or before the Gostlin st. curve. maybe this will be the incentive to ask the city to supply the needed guard rails finally. If a car can take out the pole I hate to see what a truck would do.