Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by doepack

While riding in on UP/W 54 today, I noticed a 9-car set of equipment positioned at the west end of the California coach yard, next to the Kedzie station. I've seen this set before at this time of day (about 445pm), and it seems to be the only set that comes out the west end before heading to OTC. Anyone have anymore info about this move, and why it doesn't come out of the east end like everything else? Thanks in advance...
  by doepack

Well, here's the solution to the mystery: The equipment in question is UP/W 55, and it comes out of the west end of the coach yard because it is lined to MT2 at CPY903 (Kedzie interlocking) for its move back east to OTC, following 54. Doing this actually increases A2's capacity during rush, because the operator can line up three eastbound moves at once on the UP side for equipment heading downtown with the use of an additional track that's otherwise used for revenue inbounds; it's more efficient, and clears the yard out faster. I suspect that the sets for 49 and/or 51 are handled in a likewise manner, but that's speculation.

On a side note, also happened to see the HTT rail grinder parked at the east end of the coach yard. It was in my neck of the woods earlier in the week...