Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by orangeline

Yesterday morning I was in the city when I noticed an outbound Brown Line train on the curve from Wells onto Franklin with "Belmont" as the destination on all 8 cars. Do any Brown Line trains go only as far north as Belmont and then turn around for the trip back to the Loop or was this an error on the operator's part in changing the destination sign?
  by doepack

orangeline wrote:Yesterday morning I was in the city when I noticed an outbound Brown Line train on the curve from Wells onto Franklin with "Belmont" as the destination on all 8 cars. Do any Brown Line trains go only as far north as Belmont and then turn around for the trip back to the Loop or was this an error on the operator's part in changing the destination sign?
I think this was an operator error, I don't know of any NB trains that "flip" at Belmont to return south. Couldn't imagine Clark Junction being tied up for reverse moves like that during rush, but stranger things have happened...
  by Chicagopcclcars

When the High Capacity cars were announced and placed in service, the then CTA boss implied that they would best be used on short-turn runs, on the Brown line between the Loop and Belmont and on the Blue line between O'Hare or Jeff Park and Halsted-UIC. Maybe it's started. I don't ride the Brown line that regularly. Clark Tower has advanced capabilities to do that move quite easily. Simply run the short turn onto the branch and turn it using the first of two remote crossovers there. On the Blue line, they would simply use Morgan Middle track.

David Harrison